Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello -

I'm new here to the forum and couldn't have come here fast enough :) Today for the first time, my dog (Jack Russell mix) pee'd on the carpet...two times. One before I took her out for her morning walk, and the second time I was about to hop in the shower and something told me to check again...sure enough she pee'd again in the same area.

She's 14 years old. She's been pooping about 1-2 times a week in the house recently. We've had her for over a year now, she is a rescue, and she never used to poop in the house. I think its been about 2 or 3 months now that she's been pooping regularly inside. I can't have her now peeing inside...the poop was tolerable because the dog food we feed her clumps her poop nice and compact and picker-up-able, so its an easy clean up. But the pee is crossing the line. The thing was, she didn't even have an urgency to pee...she'll definitely let me know when she has to go...but as I was sitting there putting on my socks etc. to take her out, she squatted right in front of me and pissed...I almost couldn't believe it.

So yeah, I've had thoughts of taking her back to the humane society. But are there things that can be done to stop her from doing this? Why is she doing this? I don't want to take her back but yeah, peeing on carpet is a no go for me for the obvious reasons.

Please help.
Thanks,
AbbyJackMix

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
She's a 14 year old senior dog...I would be taking her to the vet, as that is a pretty drastic change in behavior for a dog who hasn't had an accident in 4 years. It very likely could be a medical issue.

It really is not unusual for senior dogs to lose control of their bladder functions. If that's the case, a vet could prescribe a medication to help her. If not, there are things you can do to help her, such as doggy diapers. If its an issue of old age, please don't take her back to the human society. She is an old girl and cannot help it. She needs your love and understanding at this time, as I'm sure these accidents are just as distressing to her as they are to you.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Did you not know that senior dogs often have incontinence issues as they age when you adopted a senior dog? She's only peed twice and you're already considering returning her, before you even know whether it's a health issue that can be resolved at the vet? ...... Any dog is potentially going to have accidents, go through house training regression, and/or struggle with incontinence as they age. It's kinda what you signed up for.

That said, basically, it's either an age thing (nothing you can really do but try to take her out more often) a medical issue that the vet will be able to help you resolve, or a training issue. Since you've had her for a year without problem, I'd guess it's one of the first two, but the first step is to go to the vet. I'd second the idea of doggy diapers, but not in lieu of the vet. Another option may be pee pad training - I'm usually not an advocate of pee pads, but it may help to give her an area to go inside.

Don't give up on her so quickly. See the vet and go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you not know that senior dogs often have incontinence issues as they age when you adopted a senior dog? She's only peed twice and you're already considering returning her, before you even know whether it's a health issue that can be resolved at the vet? ...... Any dog is potentially going to have accidents, go through house training regression, and/or struggle with incontinence as they age. It's kinda what you signed up for.

That said, basically, it's either an age thing (nothing you can really do but try to take her out more often) a medical issue that the vet will be able to help you resolve, or a training issue. Since you've had her for a year without problem, I'd guess it's one of the first two, but the first step is to go to the vet. I'd second the idea of doggy diapers, but not in lieu of the vet. Another option may be pee pad training - I'm usually not an advocate of pee pads, but it may help to give her an area to go inside.

Don't give up on her so quickly. See the vet and go from there.
She's a 14 year old senior dog...I would be taking her to the vet, as that is a pretty drastic change in behavior for a dog who hasn't had an accident in 4 years. It very likely could be a medical issue.

It really is not unusual for senior dogs to lose control of their bladder functions. If that's the case, a vet could prescribe a medication to help her. If not, there are things you can do to help her, such as doggy diapers. If its an issue of old age, please don't take her back to the human society. She is an old girl and cannot help it. She needs your love and understanding at this time, as I'm sure these accidents are just as distressing to her as they are to you.
When I first read the responses I was taken aback because I wasn't expecting that at all. Then I was annoyed and upset, particularly at the condescending tone. I wanted to respond back and give a piece of my mind but I decided not to. I'm glad I waited to respond now. That's a lesson I'm learning; if you're angry hold your peace for a while and then come back to it once you're more rational.

While I was walking my Abby tonight I started to tear up at what I said...how I had thoughts of taking her back to the humane society. I'm very very sorry I even thought that, and I'm very very sorry I expressed that here on the forum. I wasn't thinking correctly. I was so angry that she pee'd right there in front of me. It wasn't incontinence, I'm sure of it. I know her and that's not an issue she has, and hopefully she'll never have to deal with that. But I wasn't thinking correctly because I honestly didn't think far enough at the time to realize that if I were to take her back, there's a slim chance she would get adopted again...so there's a high probability she would be put down. My heart broke thinking of that and what I said...I would never do such a thing. I'm so sorry I said that, I wasn't thinking.

Abby wasn't meant to be my dog. She was supposed to be my wife's dog primarily. We got her for emotional support for my wife who has a lot of issues. Unfortunately we are separated and are going through a divorce. My wife can't care for Abby where she is living so I have to care for her. My wife is the dog person, I've never owned a dog in my life. So this is all new to me. But I love Abby so much and she's grown on me despite how things have turned out. I planned for my wife to sleep next to me for the rest of my days but now Abby is there taking up the whole bed lol...I could never take her back if she pee'd 1000 times. I'm so sorry I said that. Every time I think about it tears flood my eyes. And now I'm crying :) I guess I'm just an emotional wreck with all that's going on. Thanks for hearing me out.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Wow! It sounds like you're under a great deal of stress and your Abby's issue was the proverbial last straw. Hope things improve for you very soon. I'm glad you reached out before making a rash decision. Please know that this is an incredibly supportive community, but sometimes our passion for caring about the dog(s) can come across as harshness to the human(s). Too, without tone and body language, words on the screen are prone to being misinterpreted. Many folks, including me, have an knee-jerk reaction when people threaten to "get rid of" their dog for relatively minor issues and it raises hackles.

That's a lesson I'm learning; if you're angry hold your peace for a while and then come back to it once you're more rational.
An excellent lesson for everyone to learn and apply to many situations. :)

I agree with the folks who suggested a vet visit. Any time there is a drastic behavior change or change in elimination habits it's worth looking for medical causes first - especially with an older dog.

It wasn't incontinence, I'm sure of it. I know her and that's not an issue she has
I wouldn't be so sure. Just because she hasn't had an issue doesn't mean she can't develop it. It may be a situation similar to a young puppy where she has some, but not complete bladder control and by the time she realizes she needs to go out she can't wait. Or she could have a UTI which can cause a potty trained dog to have accidents.

Please let us know how things are going with you and Abby, and please do stick around.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You know it takes a little courage to come back here with the response that you did, having taken time to consider the responses and how to react appropriately. It's so easy here to just shoot off something while flush with emotions! So kudos to you for that.

It's a tough thing when our animals get old. Accidents certainly increase with age, so even if you've not seen any previous signs of incontinence, her age alone is a pretty solid potential reason for this new behavior. I definitely would go ahead and do a vet checkup to see if it's UTI (the possibility of which also tends to increase as they age). If that's it, it's easily treatable and she should be back to normal shortly. But you may just have to acknowledge that she's getting older, and accidents are just par for the course. The vet can help you verify what's actually going on with her. There are ways you can manage age-related incontinence such as using potty pads and/or taking her out frequently, like she's a puppy again, but be prepared for it to worsen as she gets older. It would certainly be most unfair to take her to a shelter, which it seems you've already realized. It's likely she just can't help it. Poor old gal.

Good luck and please let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Today for the first time, my dog (Jack Russell mix) pee'd on the carpet...two times. One before I took her out for her morning walk, and the second time I was about to hop in the shower and something told me to check again...sure enough she pee'd again in the same area.
What product are you using to clean up? Ones like Lysol, Pine sol, Mr Clean etc usually aren't effective at removing all traces of urine. It may sort of smell clean to us humans, but to the dog's keen sense of smell there will be remnants of odor that tempt them to pee in the same area again. If you haven't already done so, try using a commercial enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. You can find it in just about any pet store or walmart.

I'm certainly not saying this is the be-all end-all cure - and a vet visit is definitely the first order of business - but using a proper cleaning product may be a small part of the solution.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
UTI all the way. Dog doesn't have much warning she needs to go. She was staring at you because she didn't have a chance to do her usual signalling. Bucky's done the same to me, he didn't know how to signal me he needed to go.

Did this all start with your change in household? I'd go back to housetraining 101 where she's confined if you don't have eyes on and take her out often, perhaps every hour. If she does have an UTI then more often might be necessary. Much praise and a treat when she performs outside, try to clean up without fuming if she has an accident in the house. She knows she isn't supposed to potty in the house, doesn't want to and it just makes things worse.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I'm glad that you decided to come back after some unfavorable responses. Kudos to you.

I would not be so quick to say you're sure its not age-related incontinence. It can happen quite suddenly, or over a long period of time. I think you really should take your old girl to the vet to rule out any medical issues. Whatever it is, whether a disease or just old age, it should be checked by a vet. Make sure to bring stool and urine samples.

Then, if she's clear, you can probably assume it's a training issue. Something changed, something happened, and you just need to go back to house training 101.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad that you decided to come back after some unfavorable responses. Kudos to you.

I would not be so quick to say you're sure its not age-related incontinence. It can happen quite suddenly, or over a long period of time. I think you really should take your old girl to the vet to rule out any medical issues. Whatever it is, whether a disease or just old age, it should be checked by a vet. Make sure to bring stool and urine samples.

Then, if she's clear, you can probably assume it's a training issue. Something changed, something happened, and you just need to go back to house training 101.
UTI all the way. Dog doesn't have much warning she needs to go. She was staring at you because she didn't have a chance to do her usual signalling. Bucky's done the same to me, he didn't know how to signal me he needed to go.

Did this all start with your change in household? I'd go back to housetraining 101 where she's confined if you don't have eyes on and take her out often, perhaps every hour. If she does have an UTI then more often might be necessary. Much praise and a treat when she performs outside, try to clean up without fuming if she has an accident in the house. She knows she isn't supposed to potty in the house, doesn't want to and it just makes things worse.
What product are you using to clean up? Ones like Lysol, Pine sol, Mr Clean etc usually aren't effective at removing all traces of urine. It may sort of smell clean to us humans, but to the dog's keen sense of smell there will be remnants of odor that tempt them to pee in the same area again. If you haven't already done so, try using a commercial enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. You can find it in just about any pet store or walmart.

I'm certainly not saying this is the be-all end-all cure - and a vet visit is definitely the first order of business - but using a proper cleaning product may be a small part of the solution.
You know it takes a little courage to come back here with the response that you did, having taken time to consider the responses and how to react appropriately. It's so easy here to just shoot off something while flush with emotions! So kudos to you for that.

It's a tough thing when our animals get old. Accidents certainly increase with age, so even if you've not seen any previous signs of incontinence, her age alone is a pretty solid potential reason for this new behavior. I definitely would go ahead and do a vet checkup to see if it's UTI (the possibility of which also tends to increase as they age). If that's it, it's easily treatable and she should be back to normal shortly. But you may just have to acknowledge that she's getting older, and accidents are just par for the course. The vet can help you verify what's actually going on with her. There are ways you can manage age-related incontinence such as using potty pads and/or taking her out frequently, like she's a puppy again, but be prepared for it to worsen as she gets older. It would certainly be most unfair to take her to a shelter, which it seems you've already realized. It's likely she just can't help it. Poor old gal.

Good luck and please let us know what the vet says.
Wow! It sounds like you're under a great deal of stress and your Abby's issue was the proverbial last straw. Hope things improve for you very soon. I'm glad you reached out before making a rash decision. Please know that this is an incredibly supportive community, but sometimes our passion for caring about the dog(s) can come across as harshness to the human(s). Too, without tone and body language, words on the screen are prone to being misinterpreted. Many folks, including me, have an knee-jerk reaction when people threaten to "get rid of" their dog for relatively minor issues and it raises hackles.

An excellent lesson for everyone to learn and apply to many situations. :)

I agree with the folks who suggested a vet visit. Any time there is a drastic behavior change or change in elimination habits it's worth looking for medical causes first - especially with an older dog.

I wouldn't be so sure. Just because she hasn't had an issue doesn't mean she can't develop it. It may be a situation similar to a young puppy where she has some, but not complete bladder control and by the time she realizes she needs to go out she can't wait. Or she could have a UTI which can cause a potty trained dog to have accidents.

Please let us know how things are going with you and Abby, and please do stick around.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I took her to the vet and she has a mild UTI. I'm going to take her back in two weeks for another check up. So far no more accidents in the house. Another thing that may be contributing is her being on a diet. She was up to 26lbs. and because she has some arthritis, we lowered her food portion size a bit to loose the weight and pressure on her joints. She's down to her regular weight now. Since she's been on the diet she's become increasingly ancy and demanding...which is normal for anyone on a diet, ha, but maybe somehow that has contributed to it, I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Kathyy, no my wife is with her family so there's no change of household. It really was the weirdest thing, she just casually did it, and it was really weird because she knew we were about to go out and potty. Who knows. But yeah like cookieface said I've been under a great deal of stress lately but I'm just going to breathe easy and not get angry about it.

petpeeve, thanks for that tip. I ordered a spot cleaner and will be getting an enzymatic cleaner soon.

cookieface and TGKvr, thank you for your kind words.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I’m glad *I* kept reading as my response wasn’t going to be very nice! Sorry you’re dealing with this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m glad *I* kept reading as my response wasn’t going to be very nice! Sorry you’re dealing with this.
:) Thanks InkedMarie. Yeah it was really boneheaded of me to express that...I wasn't thinking clearly and under a lot of stress. Abby's doing just fine. Still lots of energy and playful and so loving. I've never owned a dog before but Abby is literally the best. Most loving dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
:) Thanks InkedMarie. Yeah it was really boneheaded of me to express that...I wasn't thinking clearly and under a lot of stress. Abby's doing just fine. Still lots of energy and playful and so loving. I've never owned a dog before but Abby is literally the best. Most loving dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.
That makes me smile. I’ve adopted senior dogs; used to what happens as they age. get her into the vets, make sure nothing is wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts