Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an almost 13 week old GSD puppy Stella that has no problem peeing and pooping in her crate and either eating the poop or licking up the pee--gross! We've had her 3 weeks and things haven't improved at all, in fact they have gotten worse. Now I did take her to the vet and she has puppy vaginitis so she is now on an antibiotic since Saturday. She is not my first dog to train, but all the others couldn't stand to be in the crate if they peed she is not at all bothered--how in the world do you work with that? I am at my wits end honestly. All day long I take her out every 30 minutes and as soon as she is in her crate she'll pee! Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! And yes her crate is just big enough for her to walk in turn around and lay down. She does do her business outside so she knows that is where she should go, but...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Why not try to gate off the kitchen instead of putting her in the crate and work with her that way? She may be afraid of the crate for some reason. Set her up for success and not for failure.

Have you played crate games with her to teach her the crate is a good place or did you just put her in there thinking she'd "get it"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not able to do that unfortunately. She is not afraid of her crate. She is just not at all uncomfortable in her own mess, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is our 6th shepherd and my experience has always been that they were really not happy if the crate was wet, etc. That would help in the housebreaking process, but since she is so comfortable in it where/what am I to do to get her to potty outside only?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Well, the theory that pups don't want to soil their crates certainly doesn't apply to all pups! :( We hear about it quite often.

Here's the thing, she has it in her head that it's acceptable. So, right now, her crate (to her) is an acceptable option when she has to go, for whatever reason. The best way to deal with it, in my opinion, is to stop using the crate, because it's not really doing it's job, right? I mean, it's not helping you potty train her, right? If it's not working, there's not much you can do, except try to take her out MORE often than every 30 minutes. The more she's allowed to pee/poop in her crate, the more she'll think it's ok.

Could you put an ex-pen up in a corner of the kitchen to use in place of the crate? That way, you're starting from scratch, in a place that she doesn't already consider an acceptable potty area, the way she does with the crate.

I actually never used a crate for potty training. I DID occasionally use it for those times when I couldn't directly supervise our pups, but otherwise, we had the pups out in our direct supervision, and close to us. I found it easier to see when they were about to pee and poop, when they were in the crate it was sometimes hard to see the signs. Also, having them out with us gave us opportunities to teach the "rules of the house" so to speak, and interrupt them if they showed signs of needing to potty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts