Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some help and at this point, not sure who to ask so I'm posting on here.

I have a 2 year old Yorkie-Poo, he's about 9lbs, well fed and loves playing outside and going to nice long runs. In the past 6 months he has just been going over board with urinating in the house. Not because he has too but anytime someone talks to him, looks at him and reaches down to pet him. And I don't mean a little tinkle, today, as many other days, I've had to pull out the mop and bucket and use 2 rolls of bounty paper towel (the real thick stuff) to clean his mess. The worst part is that he knows he has done something wrong and goes straight to his kennel, opens the door and lays down. Not to the door because he has to pee but to his kennel. It's to the point that I, his owner, can't even bend down and pet him without him peeing everywhere!!

My mom, who plays with him every time she comes over and is always feeding him from the table (I know it's bad but I don't have kids yet so I guess that's how she deals), bends over to pet him and he pees! I can't even put his leash on him anymore inside my house to take him for a walk without him peeing all over the place. He's been to the vet, got blood tests, thyroid tests, and about $1,800 worth of tests and NOTHING!!

He isn't fixed yet, and I'm wondering if this could be why but I'm reluctant to have it done if this is a problem that is going to be persistent. My dad said that I should have him put down as this is a problem my uncle had with a dog before and he had to do the same thing. My dog has done the K9 puppy school about 1.5 years ago and passed with flying colors. He listens great and does what you ask. When I ask him to go to bed he even opens his kennel door and lays down. I'm just so sad with his recent change in behaviour I'm not sure what to do and hope that someone can help...if they read it all.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
First get a vet check. A Urinary Tract Infection can make it hard for them to hold their bladder, as can stones or crystals. Since it started recently, a vet check is a must. See a vet as soon as possible. Since this is a new problem a UTI is VERY likely. If that checks out clean, then google submissive urination. You ABSOLUTELY do NOT punish them for it. It will make it worse, and they can't help it. You don't need to put them down because of it. You can manage it, and often they grow out of it. keeping a short leash on them so you can just pick up the end and go out and greet them when you come home, without talking to him, so he can pee outside can help. Avoiding talking to him when hovering over him can help. Tossing treats to him whenever he looks at you or you pass by can help. NILIF can help because it gives them confidence and teaches them what to expect in their environment can help.
Loud, deep voices can make it worse. Bending down over them can make it worse. Basically releasing urine is a dog's way to show they are submissive, possibly fearful and mean no harm. If the dog has been disciplined, so it has become fearful then you need to get the dog's confidence back.
It bothers me that your dad would suggest euth and you had an uncle that had another dog euthed for it. I wonder if he is too harsh with his discipline and scaring the crap (or in this case) pee, out of the dog. Especially since the dog didn't used to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no, my dad doesn't live here or even in the same province...it was just his suggestion. He's met my dog maybe twice...in like 20 minute spurts. My dog has been recently checked and tested, as I mentioned. And nothing has been wrong with him. His only discipline is a high pitched inhale followed by a "what did you do"? (I'm gay so my low pitched voice is very sad...my mom does a better job) And for 2 years that hasn't done anything to him...maybe an eye squint or him dropping whatever it was that he was chewing on. But now it's like he just pees. Pees all the time. My cousin came over and looked at him and said, "Hi Tucker!" and he instantly dropped down and peed all over my stairs and carpet...he basically peed all the way down the stairs until he saw her and then peed some more. He basically now spends a lot of time in his kennel because I'm scared to let him out, unless he's going outside, because he pees every where. I have a bullmastiff as well, who was 2 years old when we got Tucker so he was fixed and trained and he is still the same. They both get the same treatment, same walks and same runs (vet asked if there was favoritism and I said no because they do everything together). I'm literally at a cross roads with him...is getting him fixed going to change anything or is he just going to be the same? He's schedule in 2 weeks to get his boys chopped but I'm afraid he's just going to be the same dog. I feel like I have a teenage son who recently decided to start smoking weed!! (OK...not as extreme but GAH!)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Oh no, my dad doesn't live here or even in the same province...it was just his suggestion. He's met my dog maybe twice...in like 20 minute spurts. My dog has been recently checked and tested, as I mentioned. And nothing has been wrong with him. His only discipline is a high pitched inhale followed by a "what did you do"? (I'm gay so my low pitched voice is very sad...my mom does a better job) And for 2 years that hasn't done anything to him...maybe an eye squint or him dropping whatever it was that he was chewing on. But now it's like he just pees. Pees all the time. My cousin came over and looked at him and said, "Hi Tucker!" and he instantly dropped down and peed all over my stairs and carpet...he basically peed all the way down the stairs until he saw her and then peed some more. He basically now spends a lot of time in his kennel because I'm scared to let him out, unless he's going outside, because he pees every where. I have a bullmastiff as well, who was 2 years old when we got Tucker so he was fixed and trained and he is still the same. They both get the same treatment, same walks and same runs (vet asked if there was favoritism and I said no because they do everything together). I'm literally at a cross roads with him...is getting him fixed going to change anything or is he just going to be the same? He's schedule in 2 weeks to get his boys chopped but I'm afraid he's just going to be the same dog. I feel like I have a teenage son who recently decided to start smoking weed!! (OK...not as extreme but GAH!)
Didn't see anywhere that the dog has had his urine tested... just 1800.00 worth of tests.
Did they xray for stones? Check the urine for bacteria or crystals? Can you confirm that the vet specifically did those tests?
If so, then it sounds like submissive urination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
( He's been to the vet, got blood tests, thyroid tests, and about $1,800 worth of tests and NOTHING!! )-first post...$1,800 of tests included urine, along with blood, thyroid, cancer, levels of something I've never heard of, and other various things. That was also including an over night at the vet so they could see the occurrences themselves. I told them he miraculously became a ghost detective! (I was kidding but don't know of any other explanations)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Then I'm going with submissive urination. Read previous posts about how to deal with it, and google for more info. NILIF will help too. neutering won't usually help. Although I am pro neuter, so I would still get it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, our breeder told us that 2 years old was the ideal age to have it done which is why we waited. I just don't understand the submissive behaviour! LOL...my friends always complain that my dogs run the place (and sometimes they do...again, no kids) but they still know when and where to behave. It's just so frustrating...It's so sad that I don't even want to pet my dog anymore nor do I want any one else to because he's going to pee everywhere! Thanks for your help, I'll read and again, still get him fixed, I'll keep you posted on what happens with his behaviour.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Some dogs are just "soft" dogs. Anything that will boost his confidence will help. That's why I mentioned NILIF. Also, teaching him agility, even doing tricks will help. make sure you treat/praise. You want to make him feel like Mohamad Ali...the KING. Be aware that dogs can read body language and facial expressions much more effectively than you would guess. Try ignoring him more, and teaching him tricks on tile/lineoleum, so clean up is easy. Take him for a long leisurely walk first, so he can sniff and pee to his hearts content, and hopefully have an empty bladder. Don't react to him submissively peeing. Not even an "awww, FIIDDOOO".

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I would even go as far as starting some of his trick training outdoors if possible ... there you have no reason to be upset when he pees and your emotions won't be so upsetting to him either. :) They do feel our emotions.

I have a submissive peeing dog, Eddee. If I go up to him too quickly he pees. If I use a loud voice he pees. If I raise my hand to go towards him he pees. If I try and pet his head he sometimes pees ( getting better about this one). I have only had him three months ... but it is slowly getting better. I do not know of his history as he is a new rescue of mine. But I just ignore it and take him outside and let him pee until his heart is content and his bladder is not so full.

I have learned to use body language that does not stress him out. It becomes a habit after a while. :) I would not dream of putting down a dog because they have a problem with bladder control. I would find other alternatives.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Since you wrote that your dogs do everything together, I wanted to bring up "Littermate Syndrome".

It might not apply here since your dogs are different ages, but one thing that can happen is that one dog becomes less confident and the other dog more confident.

The solution is to do things separately with your dogs- walks, training, etc.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I used to babysit a dog who I could not look at or talk to until we were outside. I would eneter through the front door, and walk straight to the fench doors, exiting together. Then we'd have a big party- after the peeing was over!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like your little sweetie is having major anxiety issues. Might need medication. How's his eyesight or hearing. My 15 year old Sheltie lost her hearing an would be so startled if she saw me suddenly moving towards her. Scared the daylights if she didn't see me moving around then suddenly saw me from the corner of her eye.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts