Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up Cobber at daycare and took him home. When we got inside our house, he actually pointed out to me that there was a pee puddle in the front hallway. What I don't know is which pet produced it.

Background: we just moved into this house earlier this week. So all my pets (3 cats, 1 dog) and I are somewhat stressed in terms of new environment, new location of everything, new routines. I'm trying to keep things as "normal" as possible, and the furniture is all the old, familiar stuff, but I suspect this accident might be due to move-stress.

ALSO, for the first time last night, Cobber (the 1 dog) was not crated during the night. He did choose to sleep in his crate in my bedroom, but I did not shut him in.

Okay, so, the only way it could be Cobber's pee puddle is if he did it first thing this morning before 5:30am when I got up. After I was up, he was with me till we went to daycare at 7. If he had the accident, I would think that by the time I got him home just now at noon, the puddle would be mostly if not totally evaporated. It was still quite wet. Also, if he did do it early this morning and it was still wet at noon, it would've been a pretty big puddle to start and all 5 of us -- the pets and me -- would have tramped through it to get to the back door when I got up this morning. I know I was tired, but I don't think I was tired enough to miss a puddle that we all would've walked through.

That leaves the cats. But in general, when the cats pee due to stress or being mad at me, they usually do it on something fluffy... like my pillow. And, in general, I think cat pee smells more (as in stronger) than dog. But maybe I'm wrong about that. It is possible that one of the cats was downstairs and didn't feel like jumping the gate to get to the downstairs cat boxes, so just peed right there in front of the gate.

I simply don't know. I doused the area with Nature's Miracle and cleaned it up. Then I doused it again and left that to sit while I'm back at work this afternoon. I repositioned the gate so the dog can't get anywhere near that same spot, in case he's the culprit and thinks about doing it again.

Is there any way to tell cat pee from dog pee (aside from seeing the animal leave the puddle)? It only matters in terms of how I try to solve the problem so it doesn't happen again. For the dog, I'll need to get up earlier to let him out if he made that puddle early this AM. For the cats, I can reposition the downstairs cat boxes.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the mysteries of cat vs dog accidents? :laugh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my experience, cat pee smells WAY worse than dog pee so that would be the first indicator for me. Maybe the size of the wet spot could be another indication depending on the size of the dog/cats? If your dog is small then it might not be so easy to tell by the size of the wet spot.

Otherwise, without seeing the offender actually pee, I'm not sure how you would know.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My cat's pee does not smell worse than my dog's but they definitely smell different.

This might sound gross, but take a sniff! I am sure you'll notice a difference :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone! It would seem that the variety of answers here confirms that it could go either way with which species was the culprit. So I'm trying to address the problem from both sides (blocking off the dog and giving the cats more litterbox access). I knew that moving into a new home would cause some resettling, stress, and routine-disruption issues. It'd be a lot easier, tho, if the pee were different colors or something - LOL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts