Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experiences with "Pee Posts" or equivalent products? Do they actually work? :D Jasper is really, really indiscrimate about where he pees in the kennel - and I'd like to try and encourage him to pee in one corner like Willow and Bandit do. :) Sure makes cleanup easier, and it's got to be nicer for the dogs, too, to be able to avoid a certain area.

Any suggestions or reviews would be terrific, thanks!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Does he pee in the same areas around the kennel, or is it more or less wherever he happens to be standing at the time?

Since dogs generally mark based on scent (the whole strengthen their scent/territory mark thing) I don't think it would be too hard to get Jasper using a specific post. You'd just need to get his scent on it initially (which he may actually do for you, it being a new item in the kennel and him naturally wanting to mark it) and go from there. It seems it would then just be a matter of praising him for using the post and making it worthwhile for him to use that area alone. Sort of like regular potty training. I don't think you need to buy anything fancy though, or a specific product. A wooden post or something to that extent would likely work just as good.

I'm really just spit balling here though, as I've never even owned a male dog lol. But I do know a lot of owners will train their pets to eliminate in one area of the yard - this doesn't seem like it would be all that different.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's pretty much wherever he's standing at the time. Different spots every day. It doesn't seem to be marking behavior - I can spot that with Bandit and formerly Yuki, and this just looks like normal peeing.

I'm wondering if he might have a bladder infection, though - he seems to urinate *very* frequently and it always seems very dark no matter how much water he drinks. I have a urine sample going into the vet next week... maybe that is part of the problem?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hm, that definitely makes it harder.

You could be right though, in that he has an infection. I'd say that would play a role as he is then peeing more because he has to -right- then and not for any other reason. House dogs with bladder infections typically 'forget' (not really forget, they just can't help it) their potty training do to how often they have to go...so it would make sense.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Does he also drink what appears to be more water than what would seem normal for conditions? If he does, or just as a precaution since he seems to pee more than you'd think is normal, it might be a good idea to have him tested for diabetes as well as infections. He probably doesn't have anything wrong with him and just pees more than the others but it's always good to be certain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts