Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use Pedi Paws, or whatever it is called? I want to buy it for Noel, but I need to convince my mom. Is it worth buying?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have one, and it is great if the dog's nails are already relatively short and just need to be smoothed down. If the dog's nails are long and really need a trim, you should get regular clippers and clip them first, then smooth them down with the Pedipaws.
The Pedipaws alone takes way too long to actually significantly shorten a nail. It will get too hot due to all the friction, and the dog won't sit still for that long anyway.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a pedipaws and used it on both of my pups. They hated it. The first time wasnt to bad. We got through it. It took two of us but it wasnt that big of a deal. The second time though both of them went nuts. They wouldnt let me near them with it. They hate it. I sold it on a yard sale for a dollar. Its not worth the money. There is a back a little ways about pedipaws and alot of people dont like it. Search for it. Its a good read.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dog only tolerates pedi paws and not nail clipping. It works well. I tried a dremel but since it has no cover like the pedipaws her tail got caught in it and wound around it just from wagging her tail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have one but I'm already thinking about getting rid of it. It's basically a clumsy, battery operated version of a Dremel. I've talked to a few people who switched to Dremels for their pets claws and they're much happier having switched.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have one, and it is great if the dog's nails are already relatively short and just need to be smoothed down. If the dog's nails are long and really need a trim, you should get regular clippers and clip them first, then smooth them down with the Pedipaws.
The Pedipaws alone takes way too long to actually significantly shorten a nail. It will get too hot due to all the friction, and the dog won't sit still for that long anyway.
Same here! If the nails are too long it will take forever to shorten the nails. But once you get them down, I just smooth them down every other week.

My bichon mix Sadie doesn't mind it at all! But if your dog isn't use to the sound of hair clippers or something similar, you may have a hard time using it on him or her.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've had a dremel for a decade, used it on dogs for 5 years. Since I actually use it for real purposes as well as dog nails I'm a huge fan. I don't feel most of the battery powered knock offs are worth it for lack of power and the reviews I'm hearing for the hassle of changing the sanding drum.

Even if my dogs nails do get long it's awfully quick and hassle free for them and me to dremel them back. Only time I resort to nail clippers is for my one dogs dews, dremel doesn't fit in there.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I wouldn't waste my money on a pedi-paw or other handheld rotary marketed for dog nails. Just get a regular dremel and then you have a tool you can actually use for other purposes....although, our dremel is pretty much only used for dog nails in this house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts