Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so long story short I bought Buddy a new bed (being as the one in his crate was an old warn out saddle pad & not even a real bed I thought it was time for a change & it was on clearance at Ross) as dogs don't like change, I put one of my old shirts on top of it to make it smell 'less like new'. Well while I was watching TV I heard this sound, li thought at first he was cleaning himself but I found that he was pulling at the shirt! Like had it btw his paws & was 'gnawing' at it, not ripping it but more like sucking on it. Why would he do this? I haven't seen him do this with his previous bedding, could it have been my smell? Does he not like me or something after all? is he mad at me for getting him a new bed? Lol

Any theories?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sydney has a bed inside her crate and I put a blanket on top of if it to keep it clean. Whenever I change the bedding she had to adjust it all to her specifications before she can lie down comfortably again. It's kind of annoying because the blankets end up mashed to one side instead of covering the bed, but whatever she wants, lol. I assume Buddy is doing something similar.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol these dogs of ours :p. but he wasn't like he was rearranging it, it was like he was using it as a kind of... Pacifier lol, he use a strange look on his face when he was doing it, eyes closed & in a 'trance' kind of..... Strange I know :/.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
the only thing Chester ever chews on is my shoes. He doesn't chew to destroy, but more like gentle gnaw and slobber on.

He's also really funny about new beds- he'll destroy anything fluffy meant for him but won't touch my bed, blankets etc. I got a new sofa and he's moped for over a week about it! He has the choice of sleeping on my bed, his very comfortable blanket pile, a firm foam dog bed or the couch. He doesn't like the new couch so of course, he sleeps on it and tosses and turns trying to get comfortable. Durrr.

I think Buddy is just making his new bed his own in that strange way that dogs have.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Maybe kinda like what some cats will do - esp if they are taken from mom too soon? Maybe he is showing nursing behavior?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Abby does that "nursing" thing sometimes, mostly in the evenings. Harper's never done it. But, they BOTH nest, rearrange their blankets, almost every time they lie down. :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh, well I did take the shirt out & tossed it (it was old anyway) bc I didn't want to chance him getting wallowing some of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This reminded me of what Alfie does with his blankets, every day at some point he will decide that wherever his blankets are is not right and he'll drag it out and proceed to spend the next 10 minutes scuffing them backwards around the room with his back legs while holding a corner in his mouth. Occasionally he'll stop somewhere and rip at a corner for a bit. We're trying to stop him doing this by distracting him with toys/games, but I'd appreciate any hint as to why he's doing it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts