Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my puppy has been getting one kong per day, with peanut butter in, that I freeze for a couple of hours before hand. She gets it at about 8pm, it keeps her occupied after her walk while I shower.

She is about 20lbs, almost 6 months and gets an hour walk/run, either split up during the day, or all in the evening. She gets about 2/3 cup of kibble, once in morning and once in evening. She stopped wanting the lunchtime meal about 3 weeks ago.

Is the peanut butter too much on top of that? I dont know if you can tell based on the information I have given, or if I just need to wait and see if she gets fat! She always wants the peanut butter, and she is not at all a food motivated puppy.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If your concerned about her getting fat off the peanut butter you could always try filling her kong with pumpkin or non-fat yogurt and see how she likes it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that :) I was just so pleased to find a treat that she got excited about that I have stuck with it... most other things she looks at me, takes it then goes off to hide it. She likes cheese as well, but that is a training treat, I would definitely never stuff a kong full of it!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Peanut butter works for us, too. Are you filling the Kong or just putting a tablespoon or so in? A full kong might be too much. Maybe you could mix it with other things? I used to lightly crush some of my dogs kibble and mix that with a little water and peanut butter and freeze that in a kong. Reduces the amount of peanut butter without adding anything else to her diet. She didn't seem to like the kibble/peanut butter mixture any less than the straight peanut butter.

P.S. We do use low fat creamy peanut butter to cut down on the fat.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes it is a full one, sometimes I just spread it around the inside so when it freezes it freezes to the edges and she still has to work to lick it out. Also depends what I'm doing... if I'm showering then eating she will get a full one to keep her occupied longer. I am trying to crate her less and less so I am always looking for interactive toys for her! I will try it with the crushed kibble as well, sounds like a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts