Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a simple recipe that will make your dog jump for joy!

Peanut Butter Treats:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbls baking powder
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup skim milk

Mix whole wheat flour and baking soda in medium bowl. In another bowl, mix peanut butter and milk. Combine mixtures until well blended. Knead until smooth and roll out into 1/4 thickness. Cut with cookie cutters.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 mins. Remove and cool.

Enjoy! :D

Laura
***unauthorized advertisement***

·
Registered
22 Posts
Baked 'em yesterday but used peanut butter and honey combo. It helps if you add a little extra milk as you go because the dough tends to dry out and crumbles as you roll it. I used a cutter in the shape of a medium size doggie bone and it made about 45 to 50 treats. Smell and taste great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try adding a 1 1/2 Tbls honey and 1/2 cup cornmeal. They'll love it!

Laura

I have a bunch more recipes to share that i'll post later today- I have a few errands to run. Enjoy!

Laura
***No Unauthorized Advertisements Allowed***

·
Registered
22 Posts
At the local Kroger I paid: 5lb. bag of whole wheat flour-$1.99, 1 qt. of skim milk-$1.49, 18oz.jar of roasted peanut butter with honey-2/$3.00, and 10oz.tin of baking powder-.89. There was enough milk, flour and baking powder to make several more batches. You'll need to buy more peanut butter to stretch the recipe. What a bargain!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here are a few other recipes that dogs love. The cheese treats are usually the biggest hit- Try 'em all, and let me know what your dog thinks!

Laura

Cheese Bites

1 cup wheat flour
1 cup grated cheese
1 tbls soft butter
1/2 cup milk

Mix flour and cheese together. Add the softened butter. Slowly add milk til you form a stiff dough. You may not need all of the milk. Knead on flored board for a few mins.

Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into hapes and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 350 degrees for 15 mins. Let cool. Refrigerate to keep fresh.

Apple Cinnamon Snaps

4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tbls vegetable oil
1 cup apple sauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup of water

in large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, oil & cinnamon. Stir in water and applesauce. Mix til a stiff dough. Knead til smooth. Roll out on a lightly floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 325 til browned and crunchy.

Oatmeal Snacks

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup rye flour
2 tbls sugar
1 tbls melted butter
1/2 cup milk

Combine otameal and rye flour sugar and butter. Slowly add milk til a firm but slightly sticky dough forms. Wrap in saran wrap and chill for 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350. Bake for 15 mins. Rerigerate to keep fresh.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
just a note, watch yourselves if you have a dog that has food allergies. its best to avoid dairy, corn, and wheat if you do. there are many substitues you can use though!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The treats will be soft unless the moisture is baked out of them (to deplete moisture levels and create treats that will last up to 6 mths, bake at appropriate time and temp, and then bake for another 4-7 hrs @ 170 degrees). The recipes that I gave will all be moist treats- think chewy chips ahoy rather than the traditional chip ahoy :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
:pright on! Thank you so much for the info! I plan to make a couple 'soft batches to give to my clients who have old dogs with bad teeth... :) What can a person use to substitute for cornmeal? Does anyone know if it is ok for a dog to eat dried cranberries? I'm thinking of putting them into the treats.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts