Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, after running out of Zoey's favorite dog treats (and being an hour away from the place we buy them from) I decided to try and make some home-made dogs treats. Her two favorite things are Peanut butter and pumpkin, so that's what I went with in these treats. I tried not to bake them too long because I wanted them to be kind of soft yet, and not as hard as the store bought dog biscuits because she's in the throws of teething, and doesn't want to crunch on the hard ones. I had found a recipe online and modified it slightly to come up with this:

1 egg
1 C pure pumpkin
1 tbsp cinnamon
dash of salt
1/2 C peanut butter
2 C flour
1 tsp vanilla

I baked them at 350 degrees for 20 min, then took them out and cut them up into 1/2" squares. They smelled WONDERFUL to me and upon tasting, they are pretty darn good. They lack the sweet sugary taste of most human baked goods, but after I ate one I found myself wanting another. I gave them a test run on Zoey and she loves them so much, I couldn't even get her to hold still for a picture. This was the best picture I got of her eating them because she ate them so fast:

Tomorrow I'm going to the store and I am going to try and find something better to use than regular flour. I was thinking maybe rice flour or something. I don't know what other kinds of things I could use though so, I might just have to look around.

Here's a pic of the treats btw:

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
great recipe! i was just wondering what i was going to do with all the left over pumpkin from iorek's upset tummy last week. i am going to try them later today for sure. thanks for sharing it :D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooh sorry I'm not exactly sure what the size of the pan was.. it's slightly bigger than a 9x13 pan with short like 1/2" sides on it. I use it for baking rectangular pizza :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i actually have a business making organic healthy low allergen dog treats. theres A LOT of other flours out there you can use. brown rice flour always works well, but if you go into a natural food store, you can find many different kinds of flour, arrowroot, potato, etc. just make sure to look up online the amounts that you need, because when you change from all purpose flour to say rice flour, you need a different amount.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I made these Tuesday. Ive made other home made treats, nothing thats gotten the "review" from the pup that these have. My normally very soft mouthed Saint boy actually snapped for one. This boy typically opens his mouth and allows the treat to be put in...

I gave a baggy full to a friend for her dogs, her 2 year old male Lab will not share...he has no issue with his people feeding Buster peperoni, but we had a bit of a scuffle over these.

My KIDS love them! They came home from school yesterday "Mom can we have some dog treats?" :eek: I suppose its okay until they start barking LOL

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Oh nice, I might try and see if I can get a cookie cutter in there and make shapes. THANKS for sharing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts