Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is how I left Tessa, this morning, licking and chewing on this Kong "Jack" toy in whose grooves I had stuffed dabs of peanut butter.

Depending on which article(s) you read, Peanut Butter is wonderful for dogs, or it's a (oh, the xylitol!) poisonous menace. I suppose if I use a brand like Jiffy or Skippy and keep it to the creamy kind, I'm OK. But, still, feeding a human food product makes me nervous (see this article)--even though in the past I've fed my dogs small dollops of peanut butter to get them to swallow their pills.

Are there any alternatives that I could use with that toy that are safer and/or more nutritious for a dog?

·
Registered
258 Posts
We've been pilling our dogs with peanut butter forever and never had any problems but with my current dog I wanted to be more careful about what I feed him and I know that peanut butter is very fatty and very fibrous and will give a lot of dogs loose stool.

So I've been using pumpkin puree and a liver puree mixture but you could just use canned food if your dog likes/handles it well. I also like to put his kibble into the kong and then use the puree as a "cap" and freeze it so when my dog licks off the frozen goodies he gets the rest of his dinner/breakfast. I don't use very much, just like a teaspoon or so.

I think in general it's better to keep your dog to as meat-based a diet as you can but if you don't it's not the end of the world either. Just don't let him overdo.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I feel like filling a Kong with peanut butter is excessive :/. I know a lot of people do it though. I fill the Kong with kibble or cat food and then just seal the hole with peanut butter. . .so not that much. I would be OK with spreading it on a toy like that, too.

As for any possible problems. . .if you eat it, no reason not to feed it to your dog ;) (except, of course, for things that are toxic only to dogs and not humans). But if you don't eat peanut butter, personally I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it for the dogs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel like filling a Kong with peanut butter is excessive :/.
To clarify, that is not what I did. I just shoved a dab here and there in the toy's creases. I probably wouldn't do this more than once a week, either, if nothing else, to keep it as a special treat.

As for any possible problems. . .if you eat it, no reason not to feed it to your dog ;) (except, of course, for things that are toxic only to dogs and not humans). But if you don't eat peanut butter, personally I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it for the dogs.
Well... after my long weekend run, I have been known to enjoy a bagel with Peanut butter on one side and Nutella on the other. Best breakfast sandwich ever! I wouldn't give that to my dog, though.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
To clarify, that is not what I did
Oh, I know! :D I just meant that that seems like the most common recommended use of peanut butter+ Kongs. And I've never been fully comfortable with that.

Mmm, Nutella. . .I've never done Nutella + PB though.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I use nut butter that I grind at a local health food store. I also use canned or dehydrated too with kibble (if you feed dry) or treats layered.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use nut butter that I grind at a local health food store.
Well, according to the second article I posted, that is the way to get the most carcinogen (aflatoxins) in peanut butter:
A few years ago, Consumers Union looked into the question of aflatoxins in peanut butter and found that the amounts detectable varied from brand to brand. The lowest amounts were found in the big supermarket brands such as Peter Pan, Jif and Skippy. The highest levels were found in peanut butter ground fresh in health food stores.
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/3-reasons-peanut-butter-isnt-safe-for-dogs-or-people/

So little time, and so many ways to kill ourselves (according to the experts).

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
If you're looking for alternatives to PB, I find plain greek yogurt works well. I use fat-free (and without any thickening agents) because we share it.

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
The OP's original post alluded to it, but the biggest risk is with PB containing xylitol. This is the same artificial sweetener found in sugarless gum and a tiny bit can be highly toxic to dogs. It's the reason I get crazy when I see someone spit their gum out on the sidewalk (besides the fact that I don't want it on my shoes.)

I would hope that the ingredients label would tell you it's in there, but product labeling is still a pretty iffy proposition.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The OP's original post alluded to it, but the biggest risk is with PB containing xylitol. This is the same artificial sweetener found in sugarless gum and a tiny bit can be highly toxic to dogs. It's the reason I get crazy when I see someone spit their gum out on the sidewalk (besides the fact that I don't want it on my shoes.)

I would hope that the ingredients label would tell you it's in there, but product labeling is still a pretty iffy proposition.
Given the xylitol is many times more expensive than sugar, I don't think you need to worry about it being sneaked in without labeling.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're looking for alternatives to PB, I find plain greek yogurt works well. I use fat-free (and without any thickening agents) because we share it.
Oooh. That's great. My wife and I have Greek Yogurt (0% fat) for breakfast 2-3 times per week.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts

This is why I use nut butter I grind from the health food store.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is why I use nut butter I grind from the health food store.
Did you see my prior response about that? Apparently the experts think that is actually a more carcigenous producing option, for both dogs and humans.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I stuff the kong in the evening with kibble and barf (or chopped chicken or tuna or greek yogurt) and then freeze it.
Next morning I take it out and there you go

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hard to find an alternative that doesn't require refrigeration. Sure, you can use non-oily dairy products like yoghurt, but those are not very sticky and won't entertain the dog very long. The oil may well be good for your dog (unless it has pancreatitis). MOst dogs see fatty foods as high value treats. . . and are less eager to eat low fat stuff.

See:
http://www.drbasko.com/site/why-fat-is-good/

You could use something like liverwurst, or fat renderings from cooking meat (as in the article above) if you're worried about fiber. I wouldn't worry about fiber, though. Pumpkin, btw, is very high fiber.

I wouldn't make p'nut butter a major component of a dog's diet. But a tablespoon a day smeared on a toy isn't going to do any harm.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Did you see my prior response about that? Apparently the experts think that is actually a more carcigenous producing option, for both dogs and humans.
I didn't read the link but I said "nut butter" which is almond or cashew butter in our home.
Will try to read it later.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Typically you only find the xylitol in the high protein PB meant for people doing serious workouts, so most 'normal' stuff should be fine.

A kong with frozen PB (or other) is my go-to for keeping Luna busy when I can't directly supervise. I don't -totally- fill it, but I do put several scoops in and smear it around the sides, possibly mixed with honey, banana, canned pumpkin, kibble, or coconut oil depending on what I have on hand and how much time I have to stuff it. But there are lots of other options you can find online.

But yes, unless your particular dog happens to be sensitive to it, PB is fine. :)

Oh yea, it terms of buying it just for your dog... uh, we kind of do? We prefer the crunchy kind but I worry that's too harsh for her tongue to be licking over and over so she gets the smooth kind. It works out because then I can have a dedicated knife for her PB and don't have to worry about contaminating the 'people' PB, lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Only reason to worry about fat and fiber is if it's giving your dog bathroom issues. My puppy was getting gas from peanut butter. But my husky could eat the whole jar and have normal stool after. >_>

1 - 20 of 25 Posts