Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Bill and I live in Tampa, FL. My dog's name is Jack (Jackson Pollock Browne) and he is an Australian cattle dog though I don't think he is pure because he doesn't have the leopard coat...he is pure black and white with black polka-dots on his legs. Jack was found on a highway on the Friday before Labor Day last year and I took him. This will be the first summer I've had him. In summer, the sun bakes the sidewalks to pretty high temperatures, and the other day someone asked me if his paws are built to withstand the heat of the sidewalks. I honestly don't know. Someone told me he has soft paws and can feel the heat. But when I look at sock and boot products on the market, they all claim to protect against everything but heat. When he is uncomfortable, there is plenty of grass around the sidewalk. So do I need to do anything special?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum.

I avoid hot asphalt during the day since it can cause heat stress and burns if it's real hot. I test pavement with my own feet - if it's uncomfortable for me, I don't walk her on it. I know her feet a more toughened than mine but I don't take chances since she's a northern breed with a black coat and gets hot quickly in the sun.

Grass is fine, but chances are if it's too hot to walk on pavement during the day, it may be too hot to be out walking at all. I wait until early morning or evening when it's cooler. Although once we were in Palm Springs in August and even at 8:00 pm the pavement was still too hot for walking. Ouch! We had to get up real early in the morning to get a walk in and that was it for the day. Gave us an excuse to lounge around the pool all day and do nothing (like I need an excuse!).

I've spent a lot of time in FL and IMO, FL during the summer is too hot for dog walking during the day most days. If you do it, stick to grassy areas, try to find shade, take along water for you and the dog, and take breaks if your dog seems to be having difficulty.

Quick article on heat stroke in dogs:
http://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/dogs/heat_stroke.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the information...I hadn't even gotten to the point of thinking about heat stroke. We just came in from a walk and he always falls immediately to the carpet for a few minutes. I watched his behavior on the sidewalks...he did both...went into the grass but also walked long stretches on the sidewalk. Unfortunately, this dog could never go from morning to evening without a walk. When I am home, he wants to go on average every 3 hours. Also, you confirmed that the black coat is also an issue. I'll have to think this one through a bit more.

Bill

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Sounds like an active pup! Are you near a dog-friendly beach? When we lived near the ocean we used to take our girl for walks on the beach so that when she got hot she could run in and out of the water. With the ocean to cool her off, she could tolerate being out even on hot days above 90 degrees. Helped that the sand & digging tired her out, too! Sometimes she would dig herself a nice cool hole in the sand and lay in it. Never did get her to sit still under a beach umbrella in the shade but between the ocean dips, her holes, and access to plenty of water, she did fine for a trip to the beach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts