Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 year old boxer who has a paw infection. I noticed her chewing her paw a few days ago then she started limping short after. It is looking very serious now and I will take her to the vet come payday. If anyone can give me any short term remedies to comfort her I would be grateful. She is getting over a very serious case of mange which pretty much exploded out of nowhere and now this just popped up. I hate seeing my best friend in pain but she keeps getting freaking sick! This is her third ailment literally back to back to back and something else keeps going wrong. She is an old dog and her immune system isn't what it used to be but for god sake does she really have to get every ailment possible? I feel so bad for her and I can't take her to the vet for another week and 2 days. I washed it and put antibiotic ointment on it and started giving her amoxicillin again which was prescribed to her for the case of mange she's healing up from (which is almost completely gone). Here's a picture of the infection, sorry it isn't the highest quality but you can plainly see how disgusting and painful it looks. Any ideas on what it is exactly and what I can do to help comfort her for the next week?

http://i31.tinypic.com/2a64eom.jpg

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
That looks really serious. Is there any way you could call your vet or better yet, stop by and explain the situation, and offer to give him a postdated check or two, if he'll see her now? Many vets (especially if you have been a good client) will be more than happy to do so. Bring a picture of the paw and plead your case.

The problem with infections is that they can go systemic, and cause multiple organ failure (especially in an older dog/immune sys compromised dog.

Overnight, I'd give her an aspirin (10 mg per lb, every 12 hrs...). But please try to get your vet (or call others if he won't agree to a post dated check) to see her immediately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would def. bring her to the vet asap. Im sure that they would see you if you showed them this picture. In the meentime i would not let her bite or lick at it she will only cause it to get worse, I would put some type of bandage over it and if you have an E-collar at hand put it on her,Her pads look pretty infected and may need to be drained but I cant say for sure because of the picture, but if I were you I would rub her paw into some oatmeal w/milk to help sooth then maybe put a sock over it and tape it to keep her from licking at it until you get to the vets office. But you def. need to go see a vet, because with her low immune system infections can be very damaging and hard to pull out of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts