Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi....I was feeding my guy Blue Buffalo, but the only store that carries it is too far away anymore. I don't like to buy from a website, so I have changed to Paul Newmans Own Dog Kibble. I can buy it locally. It gets good ratings & has good ingredients listed & I've always liked Paul Newman.

I would like to hear from anyone who has fed this food. Anyone?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I sometimes feed Paul Newman's canned food and their little heart-shaped biscuits, but I'm not too keen on the kibble because I think it has soybean oil in it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I've fed Newman's Own Organics before for short periods of time when I've run out of food before I had time to get to TSC (I normally feed TOTW). You could certainly do worse for a grocery store kibble, but it's pretty pricey for what you get. It gets a 4/5 on dogfoodadvisor.com.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Seems to be a ton of filler with oats, barley, rice, peas, sorghum, and millet. Top ten: Chicken, chicken meal, organic oats, organic barley, organic peas, organic soybean meal, organic sorghum, organic brown rice, organic millet, organic rice. (11th is chicken fat)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Agree, the number of grains and such in the stuff is ridiculous. I don't like feeding flax and soy, I wouldn't buy this when my dogs ate kibble. At least organic means NOT GMO, right? GMO is so weed killer can be used, right?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Well, it's 54% carbohydrate, so it does have a lot of fillers but not much more than some brands that tend to be endorsed on here. Canidae has 49% carbohydrate, Blue Buffalo Basics has 51% and Solid Gold has 50% (obviously, their grain-free formulas have less carbs). Anyway, I don't necessarily think it's useful to point out that there is a long list of different grains and other carb. sources, since even all of those could in theory add up to the same or less carbs as a food that says just "rice" or something like that. We're not actually getting how much of the total food each of those grains accounts for.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
True, and it has a good amount of protein. If the dog starts itching it is a really long list of grains and such to avoid though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to check out different ones on Dog Food Analysis - my guy deserves the best :) I might have to have it delivered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts