Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a new puppy a month ago from a well known rescue in my area. The puppy I adopted came from a litter of parvo survivors. He was treated in early July. The rescue made sure I was aware of the puppies past history and my current adult dogs were UTD on vaccines. They are, so needless to say I brought home my darling little Levi. He was a wonderful addition.

Levi is a 5 month old Chiweenie and loves his fur siblings. Tucker - 8 year old fox terrier mix and Autumn - 3 year old Chihuahua. I have a thing for big ears.

The only issue I have is that I read conflicting things online and was told a few different things from my vet and rescue. I know my pup can shed the virus for a while. I read or heard it can be a few months to a year or so. I don’t know when I can start socializing my pup with others. Such as training classes, hiking trails, anywhere public that other dogs might be.

There is just so much different information about post parvo life. I’m more or so venting that I can’t seem to find a for sure answer on this.

No matter what I am so over joy that I brought Levi home, he’s perfect. He’s the pup in my avatar pic. ?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Bottom line is, you should follow your vet's recommendations. However, your puppy is not a threat to healthy, vaccinated adult dogs. The parvo vaccine is very effective. Like, you can put a symptomatic parvo dog in a room with adult dogs vaccinated against parvo, and no other dogs should get sick (statistically speaking). The threat to under vaccinated puppies is another story.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply canyx. My vet really did not seem to be concern with Levi being a parvo survivor. They didn't tell me any restrictions with him, while the rescue was cautious and advised me to wait a few months before he goes out in public where he can get into contact with other dogs. I don't want to potentially put other unvaccinated dogs at risk. But I take my dogs everywhere with me and I'm to the point of being just really cautious around puppies, then adult dogs. I'm kind of at the mindset of hoping other owners have vaccinated their dogs, but then again I almost feel that is irresponsible my one end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts