Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I adopted a puppy in January who got Parvo from the shelter, she spent a week in the hospital but thank god she made it. She is now 6 months old, 50lbs (she is a Lab/Hound mix) and loves to eat. However I can't seem to find a food that won’t cause her to get diarrhea. She has tried Wellness, Natural Balance and Orijen. She is currently on Orijens which I really want to keep her on because its such a good food and she LOVES it but she is having diarrhea again. I have even tried giving her Pumpkn and mixing rice in the Orijen's. (I give her 3 cups of Orijen's total a day)
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Have you tried probiotics? Our digestive system has a natural flora that helps us digest food. Parvo (or antibiotics) can wipe that out

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
3 cups of Orijen for a 50 pound dog is probably close to twice the amount she needs a day. Just for a couple of days try feeding 1 cup twice a day and see if her poop improves. Oddly sometimes when dogs are overfed they just poop it out rather than get fat!

·
Registered
943 Posts
3 cups of Orijen for a 50 pound dog is probably close to twice the amount she needs a day. Just for a couple of days try feeding 1 cup twice a day and see if her poop improves. Oddly sometimes when dogs are overfed they just poop it out rather than get fat!
I agree.. 3 cups, especially of a protein-rich food like Orijen is probably way too much for a 50lb dog. I have a 46lb dog who typically eats 1 cup of kibble in the morning, and about 9 ounces of raw meat in the evenings, he's pretty lean, but I was overfeeding the kibble a couple months back and he was always having loose stools, when I cut back the amount of kibble, it firmed up immediately. Like Kathy said, I would cut down to 2 cups a day total, 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening and see if that helps any. The poor thing may still be recovering from the parvo as well, and like someone else mentioned, try probiotics if all else fails.

Good luck

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Yep, that is a LOT of calories. I'd actually cut that in half. On a similar food, I was feeding my 40 lbs foster dog 2 cups per day (slightly lower calories than Orijen) and if she got even an extra 1/2 cup, it was upset stomach time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts