Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Backstory: I was pet-sitting a dog, she had pups & the owner abandoned her (long story short) & so I raised & re-homed the 10 puppies. The mom dog was re-homed when the pups were 5-6 weeks (vet orders to separate them & I didn't have room for her). She was sick from something else but didn't have parvo. She had 3 tests done for other stuff & it didn't show up. She was re-homed on June 21. One pup I let go to his new home at 7 weeks old (June 21), but the rest I kept until they were 8 weeks old (July 5). Most pups were re-homed between July 5 - 16, except the last one (Clare) went July 26.

On August 5, the owners who adopted Clare had to take her to the vet & she had parvo & she was dehydrated & the vet kept her all weekend. She's good now & back at home. Idk if she got parvo from my yard (only place she's been before new owner's), but that would mean the other pups would have it, right? OR she got it while there. How long does it take for parvo to "show up"? I keep reading it can take 3 days or 2 weeks. I'm trying to figure out WHEN Clare got the parvo! At my house? At the new home? Are my pets at risk? Do I need to contact all the other pup's owners & say they should be tested for parvo? Idk what to do :(.

I have a dog (up to date on all vaccinations, I think her last shot was given in Nov '10 & she's 8 years old & always been kept up to date on shots) & I have 2 cats. Can cats get parvo from puppies? I'm pretty sure that Clare would've gotten the parvo at the new owner's & not from my house, but not 100% sure.

No one's contacted me about their pups not being healthy & when the vet saw them on June 28, all of them cleared health inspections with flying colors. I contacted one person so far to ask if the pup is healthy & am waiting on a response & I'm looking for contact info for the others.

Clare left my house on July 26 & she was "sick enough to go to the vet" on August 5. I don't know when she started showing symptoms or anything... but it was 10 days from the day she left me until she went to the vet. Clare & the other 9 pups didn't leave my yard. The pup I rehomed right before Clare, I haven't heard from that family & no one else has been to see the pups except for 1 couple saw her (on July 26, almost adopted her & then couldn't). The couple held her & pet her & played with her for awhile & then later that day she went to the new (different) family.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The incubation period is anywhere from 4 to 14 days, it's POSSIBLE she got it while with you, but just as possible she got it after she went home. If the other pups haven't gotten it (and they all should have had an immunization at 6 weeks BEFOREthey went to their new homes) I'd assume the pup for it after it went to the new home.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The incubation period is anywhere from 4 to 14 days, it's POSSIBLE she got it while with you, but just as possible she got it after she went home. If the other pups haven't gotten it (and they all should have had an immunization at 6 weeks BEFOREthey went to their new homes) I'd assume the pup for it after it went to the new home.
http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html
I know the holistic vet I used for my last puppy shots follows this schedule so it can't be assumed that all puppies should have had a parvo shot at 6 weeks. If it were a puppy I was responsible for, I'd let the other puppy owners know that the pup probably didn't get it at the OP's house, but just a heads up so that if a pup starts acting puny, the owners don't think it is minor and put off a vet visit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did the shots the vet told me to. I called 3 different vets in this town & all said no shots til they're 6 to 8 weeks old & then they told me not again until a month after their 1st shots. So I got them their shots at 7 weeks & then they all were rehomed before I did the 2nd shots.

& thank you for your replies!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
First of all, kudos to you for taking that huge responsibility for all the puppies and their mother. That was a lot to take on.
With the first shot,.they are not immune to parvo....thus, the.subsequent boosters they need at 12 and 16 weeks. Like another poster said, I would let the other owners know so they can get their pup to the vet.

As a pre-emptive measure, I would do a thorough cleaning of your house. Usually, using a bleach solution with water (1:9) should do the trick. That includes carpets, shoes, etc as parvo can live up to 7 months. I'm not saying ot.started at your home but just to be safe!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to update everyone. I emailed all new puppy owners last week saying that one of the pups got parvo & I told them the symptoms & asked them to please let me know how their pup was doing & that I think she got it from her new home but they should call their vet if they're concerned & let me know either way. So far all pups are completely fine & healthy. The one that went right before Clare (the one that got sick) is fine. So I'm assuming poor Clare got it from her new home.

I just learned that she kept eating things from their backyard when they 1st got her. At least she's all better now :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts