Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old Cocker mix who has had mobility issues. After a few trips to the vet and an X-ray, he was diagnosed with pretty bad arthritis in his right knee, a partial CCL tear in his right knee, mild arthritis in his back left ankle, and I suspect he may have some in his right front paw as well (but just minor, my suspicions are because he licks it from time to time). It should be noted that the vet didn't notice the CCL tear herself; the radiologist she sent the X-rays to did. So I believe it is very minor, or at least it was a couple of months ago.

My vet said that if he goes off that leg completely it would indicate that there is a full tear and we'll have to talk orthopedic vets and surgery. Right now, he's off it I'd say around 75-80% of the time and the rest he limps on it. To my (untrained) eye when he does walk on it it doesn't look good - it appears to me that his leg kind of goes at a slightly odd angle. It's especially obvious now that he has been shaved and you can really see his legs when he walks.

I was talking it through with my mom this weekend and she wondered if it would be better (and maybe more cost efficient?) to address it before it progresses to a full tear. I know either way this is probably going to hurt my wallet and really just want to do what's best for him.

Currently he takes Carprofen for the pain and they've mentioned the possibility of adequan (sp) injections. I think the carprofen helps slightly but since he's still off that leg so frequently I'm guessing he's still in a good deal of pain.

So for anyone who has been through this, what would/did you do?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.