Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I were leaving the shopping center this evening when I spotted a gorgeous Amstaff sitting in his/her car in the handicapped section which is right across from the exit door. I told my husband that I could not believe the owner would leave the window down so the dog could jump out of his/her car no matter how well trained he/she happens to be. Well, as strange as this sounds, I made the comment that some people are going to be afraid and when I looked back, there was a crowd of people standing at the exit door. They were pointing. One lady stopped in her tracks. It was probably a group of twenty and the problem was clear. These people were definitely upset. I couldnt turn my back on the situation and walked toward the people, I stopped about 8 foot in front of the car and when people saw that I was standing there, they decided to cross the parking lot. The dog had a very calm demeanor and just watched people pass. I waited for the owner to come out and told them that I understand it is none of my business but they should never leave the window down so the dog can jump out. The man looked at me and said...Aint nobody gonna steal him. Ugh!!!What also upsets me is here is a situation that could have very well escalated simply because the dog is an Amstaff. I just had this vision in my head because people were frightened that the police would have been called and the dog the victim because of owner ignorance. I love the Bully breeds and this situation is something that just feeds the fear in people. The sad thing is that I really dont think the owner even cared. :mad:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I probably wouldve done some thing like that if not exactly what you did, at least it didnt escalate and the media and police didnt get involved THAT wouldve gotten really ugly really soon

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
It depends, I know a lot of people who have excelently trained dogs who wont jump out of open windows in a parking lot no matter what goes by, dog, cat, kid, etc...And some of them are pitties.

I'm not sure a pitty in a car with an open window would have sparked media hysteria, although it is irresponsible, it all really depends on the dog and the owner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My husband often takes out dog to work with him. She is a fabulous Rottie mix (sort of small for a Rottie) and loves people, kids, etc. Yesterday was a gorgeous day here so he put the top down on his convertible. On his way to work, he stopped at the gas station/convenience store for a coffee, leaving Maddy sitting pretty in the front seat. When he came out, Maddy was gone. He started calling her and looking all over the place. He figured no one would steal her because she looks like a mean old Rottweiler but he was very worried. After a minute, a woman came out of the store and said, "are you looking for a little black dog"? He said, "yes" and she told him Maddy was in the store! She had jumped out of the car and waited at the door for him. While he was getting his coffee, someone let her in the store! He did not notice when he left. There she was, wandering around the store, making friends! Fortunately, the store employees thought she was cute but, needless to say, he will not leave her unattended in his convertible again!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I agree with what you did; He's obviously been doing that for a while and no one has bothered to step up and say anything to the man.

I think it's inappropriate... Even if the dog is "well-trained", I don't agree that it should be left in a parking-lot with the window rolled all the way down... Too many things could happen to the dog or because of the dog... Now if the dog was restrained in the car, then yeah maaaaybe, but you're still taking risks there...

There some people around that do that very same thing around here, but they do it to show off... The middle of winter their window is rolled down, and their Pit, or Pit-mix has half it's body hanging out the window barking at a kid on a bike. (I've seen it.) Then the owner comes out, and *smacks* the dog repeatedly on the head and pushed him back in the car, screaming at him the whole time... Obviously the dog wasn't trained correctly to sit in a vehicle, and if so, that's not the way to do it... Then people wonder why Pits(Any Dog) attacks...

I wouldn't even do that with Donatello, even if he was restrained in my vehicle... Donatello would probably put up a fight if someone was trying to "steal" him, but I don't want to take a chance of that or anything else happening...

But anyway, at least someone finally piped and said something; You can now count it as, "he's been forewarned", now should something bad happen he'll think back to you and say, "Sheesh, I should have listened!"

·
Banned
352 Posts
I stopped counting the number of times that a self-proclaimed "well-trained" dog in a car or back of a pickup truck has jumped out to go after my wifes Guide in parking lots. Just one of the many reasons I carry pepper spray.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Other than the guy leaving his window down, I find it REALLY strange that that many people would be scared to walk past the car, especially since the dog was behaving nicely. I will admit that before we adopted our little bully-mix, I was one of those people who was a bit leery of pit bulls. But even then, I wouldn't have hesitated to walk by one that was sitting calmly in a car...windows rolled down or not.

People are weird.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Even if that dog was well trained and wouldn't jump out, that doesn't mean people wouldn't harrass him. You also have the elements to worry about. Its not just a matter of him escaping or not. Frankly, I think he would be in MORE danger being restrained if bad weather or a malicious teenager came along or something.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even if that dog was well trained and wouldn't jump out, that doesn't mean people wouldn't harrass him. You also have the elements to worry about. Its not just a matter of him escaping or not. Frankly, I think he would be in MORE danger being restrained if bad weather or a malicious teenager came along or something.
You have a very good point there too!

Someone mentioned that large of a crowd but it was in a WalMart Parking lot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It totally bothers me when people around here do that.

I love dogs, don't get me wrong... however I've been on the wrong end of the stick with dogs improperly trained. I can't tell you how scary it is to be chased down the street by a rottie when you're walking home from school or on your way to the store....

Dogs in their cars usually tend to be more protective of their cars too. Walking by a car with a snarling dog can be just a litttttlllee un-nerving. I wish people with dogs like this knew how inconsiderate and scarey this is to other people regardless of whether their dogs are trained... sometimes its hard to tell or even just see past your own fear of it.

I feel that if you are going to leave your dog in the car make sure the windows are high enough to not allow exit...

·
Banned
352 Posts
It totally bothers me when people around here do that.

I love dogs, don't get me wrong... however I've been on the wrong end of the stick with dogs improperly trained. I can't tell you how scary it is to be chased down the street by a rottie when you're walking home from school or on your way to the store....

Dogs in their cars usually tend to be more protective of their cars too. Walking by a car with a snarling dog can be just a litttttlllee un-nerving. I wish people with dogs like this knew how inconsiderate and scarey this is to other people regardless of whether their dogs are trained... sometimes its hard to tell or even just see past your own fear of it.

I feel that if you are going to leave your dog in the car make sure the windows are high enough to not allow exit...
Scary for everyone, yes........but....try being blind and having this happen, as it frequently does with my wife and her Guide dog.

It seems that the more intelligent and considerate dog owners are getting to be fewer and farther between.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts