Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got Annie from the SPCA they warned us she is possessive over food. Once she got to our house, however she showed no signs of possessiveness. Not over her dog food or treats...

But

When we give her a bone or a rawhide, she takes it outside or in the other room and if anyone approaches her she frantically gets up to protect her treat. Occasionally she will even snarl.

She has no reason to be afraid that we will take her bone away so I assume this is leftover from treatment by her previous owners.

Any thoughts or tips to overcome this paranoia?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Try trading for an even higher value treat such as a piece of hotdog or cheese. Then offer the bone back to her. Do the same thing when it's time to remove the bone but this time say something like "Mine" and keep the bone/rawhide.

Just a word of caution, rawhide is not the best thing to give your dog. I know they love it but it contains chemicals such as formaldehyde and has been know to cause intestinal blockages requiring surgery.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
When we give her a bone or a rawhide, she takes it outside or in the other room and if anyone approaches her she frantically gets up to protect her treat. Occasionally she will even snarl.
Just so you know, those behaviours are signs of food aggression/possessiveness.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I second trading. My little girl got a little possessive with her Bully Stick and bones. If one of us came near her, she would growl, grab the bone, and run into another room. I started working on it with her though. I got her to chew on it right next to me, and I would pet her really gently. She wouldn't growl at me when I did that. Now she wants to chew the bones in my lap. She allows me to take it away when I want to now, as well.

But it sounds like your dog is a little more possessive than mine. I would start off with trading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts