Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of this happening where someone owns a dog for a while, and then somehow becomes allergic to it?
I guess anything is possible but the thought of this happening (it hasn't) breaks my heart.
Maybe its a very rare thing?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I AM allergic to my dogs and definitely the cats. Thankfully the dog allergy is pretty mild but it can easily be managed. Not something to really fear.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah, there's always something you can do about allergies. No big deal. And it is unlikely (though possible) that you'd suddenly become allergic to something you weren't previously allergic to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if I'm thinking that fairly suddenly I'll become allergic and it will escalate to a level so unmanageable that I need to find the dog a new home, I'm crazy?
I don't mind being called crazy if its true :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
So, if I'm thinking that fairly suddenly I'll become allergic and it will escalate to a level so unmanageable that I need to find the dog a new home, I'm crazy?
If it's the one in your avatar- I can go ahead and take him to alleviate those concerns of yours ;)

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Most people I know who are allergic to their pets AND also highly motivated to keep their pets find a way to make it work without a lot of trouble. Although severe allergies occur too, I suspect that many people who give up pets for "allergies" were looking for an excuse already.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i've known several people who have developed allergies to dogs, but this seems to happen after re-introducing dogs back into their lives after years without them. i wouldn't say it's very common, but it can definitely happen. we can develop all sorts of allergies as we age, but i wouldn't worry about it...there's always a way around it! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the postive feed back guys. I know I'm being paranoid, and that nothing is guaranteed. I just wanna know that its rare/unlikely/manageable.

And as for Bones comment, thanks. I appreciate it. She IS a sweety and can run like the wind. I love her deeply and would never surrender her unless I had NO CHOICE.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree with the others, though I don't think its all that common, it is for sure possible. I never had allergies before but when I was 13 I started showing signs of allergies in the spring, so when we asked the doctor he said that people can develop allergies through out their life. Though I wouldn't think it would be dangerous but just mild. I wouldn't be too concerned Sparrow just enjoy your dog and whatever happens will work itself out.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I wouldn't care if I became allergic, I would still keep the animals. I used to have hayfever really bad, and I learned to live with that, so if I canlive with that then I am sure I can handle being allergic to the animals. Putting up with hayfever was pointless, but at least putting up with being allergic to the animals is for a good reason.

There is medication available to lessen the symptoms, you can also get special shampoos and stuff for animals to reduce the amount of allergens.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have never showed any allergies to dogs in my life. Of course, I never lived with them. However, after 8 months of owning my first dog, I found out that I was allergic. I got a 3 out of 4 on the pin-prick test scale. Not too severe, but still not totally mild. So what did I do?

...I got another one :p

This was last fall. And I have good days and bad days. But honestly, they're here to stay and I don't think I will ever NOT have a dog (or two!) in my life.

I know that part of my issue is that I'm allergic to pretty much all of the grass/trees here (I lived in the Northeast all my life and recently moved to Texas), so it doesn't help that they roll in the grass outside and then bring it in :p

If you're determined to keep your dog then you will find a way. I personally have to just keep my house really clean, including vacuuming A LOT. The other thing that I have going for me is that my dogs were/are never allowed in my bedroom. They sleep in their crates in my living room/kitchen area, away from where I sleep.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I do have really bad allergies...like my eyes swell shut, my throat swells shut, I break out in hives all over, my chest tightens and I cant breathe. So it can be a big deal. But I have been allergic like that since childhood, which is why we never had a dog until now. For whatever reason, Im not allergic to zoey. I could never tolerate just keeping a dog that made me so sick I cant breathe (even with inhalers, shots, etc).

But, there are lots of things you can be allergic to, maybe you just are thinking its the dog. For instance, the dog could be bringing in something from outside that you are allergic to, and just associating it with the dog. If you really think you are allergic, and you have insurance, you could get tested just to put your mind at ease.:)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I've developed severe allergies to my cats over the past 4-6 months. Its so bad that if one of them is anywhere near my bed at night, I wake up completely congested with itchy eyes and everything. :(

That said, I wouldn't get rid of them, though. We just have to work with what we have: our cats sleep in the living room at night so that I don't wake up blowing bloody chunks (gross, I know, but its THAT bad.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
583 Posts
i just found out that im allergic to dogs, so i take an antihistamine daily. it presents itself in me as sneezing etc, but not as bad as hayfever so i'll just take the antihistamine year round i wont get rid of my dog :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am not but my youngers daughter is allergic to my lab mix. We just limit her playing with her. My daughter though loves dogs and I don't think there is any way I can keep her totally away from them, so we deal with her symptoms.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Perhaps you should discuss this fear with a medical doctor. That said, I know a lot of dog owners (and some cat owners) who have animal allergies. They choose to live with it and do what they can medically to avoid symptoms. If this isn't something that has happened to you, and you have not had it escalate, don't borrow problems.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i've known several people who have developed allergies to dogs, but this seems to happen after re-introducing dogs back into their lives after years without them.
Exactly! I grew up with a dog, and never had any issues. When I started looking for a dog (as an adult), I found that I developed hives, and my hands itched terribly.

It took almost a year before I realized that they only time this happened was with puppies. Turns out I was allergic to puppy saliva!

So how did i solve this? I adopted an adult dog, and no itching has ensued.

If it did, I'd do anything to make sure that Pepper would stay here with me.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Uhhh.. it sounds like you are NOT ALLERGIC now.. but have some sort of fear of BECOMING Allergic? Sort of a need to worry about something that has not happened?

If this is weighing heavily on your mind I think you may need to talk to someone who deals with humans with (possibly irrational) fears, phobias and/or paranoia.. Might be the best thing you could do for yourself!!!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
If you're feeling allergy symptoms and are worried that the cause may be that you've suddenly developed an allergy to your dog, keep in mind that it's nearly spring and certain spring allergies could already be effecting you. When I got Skittles, I started having allergy symptoms and I was afraid that I may be allergic to feather dust and such, but it turns out it was during the beginning of a rainy season, and I'm allergic to mold (proven by blood test).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, occaisionally, over the last almost 2 years I've had Dix, I get sinus stuffyness / flare ups. But this only seems to happen when maybe she smells particularly dog like, especially like a wet dog if she's had a bath. Otherwise I'm always on the couch where she has lied, or in bed where she has lied etc, and I've never noticed anything.
I don't get hives, itchy watering eyes, sneezing. And when I have sinus issues, my symptoms don't flare up when I'm home or ease off when I'm at work or anything. Its more like I'm just stuffed up and a bit burning.
The ONLY possible correlation I've found is that I've MAYBE felt a flare up if my dog or others are particularly 'dog smelling'
I've had on and off sinus issuues for many years, whether or not I've owned a dog, or a cat, or neither.

So, doesn't really sound like 'allergy' to me. I'm more inclined to think I just have fussy sinuses.
Makes sense?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts