Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Papillons have always been my favorite breed of dogs. I have done my research on the breed and know almost everything about the breed. But since the Papillon is not a popular breed like a golden for example, information on breeders are limited. Not a lot of breeders have website or are far away from where I live. So is there any one who has a papillon and got them from a breeder. Who are reputable breeders? Should I contact breeders that are so far away from me? Any recommended breeders to contact. Want to contact breeder to get to know them and maybe get a puppy for next year.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would start with your breed club; I know in my case, I was able to get in touch with a regional representative, who gave me the names and info for a few different breeders who were in my area or having litters soon. papillonclub.org is where you'd be headed :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
In toy breeds, I've heard a lot of breeders skimp on health testing... but I highly recommend that you find a papillon breeder who tests for luxating patellas and PRA. Luxating patellas can be a major issue and require surgery down the line; my girl has grades II and III... doesn't need surgery at this point, but I imagine she will at least have arthritic knees when she's older because of it.

Otherwise, look for a breeder who does things with their dogs... conformation, agility, etc. A good breeder will be happy to tell you all about their dogs and answer your questions, as well as ask you many questions. You can always PM me if you want my opinion on a breeder.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I found this PA-based breeder by looking on the Papillon Club of America website... google "Heise Papillons". Not a lot of information on their page, but the dog they have listed as the dam of their latest litter is titled and health tested so it would be worth emailing the breeder for more information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alisa♥;5169178 said:
I would start with your breed club; I know in my case, I was able to get in touch with a regional representative, who gave me the names and info for a few different breeders who were in my area or having litters soon. papillonclub.org is where you'd be headed :)
Will definitely do that. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
In toy breeds, I've heard a lot of breeders skimp on health testing... but I highly recommend that you find a papillon breeder who tests for luxating patellas and PRA. Luxating patellas can be a major issue and require surgery down the line; my girl has grades II and III... doesn't need surgery at this point, but I imagine she will at least have arthritic knees when she's older because of it.

Otherwise, look for a breeder who does things with their dogs... conformation, agility, etc. A good breeder will be happy to tell you all about their dogs and answer your questions, as well as ask you many questions. You can always PM me if you want my opinion on a breeder.
Thanks! And yeah, I've started looking at breeders that show dogs. Will definitely hit you up on that once I have a list of breeders that I am interested in. Thank you

I found this PA-based breeder by looking on the Papillon Club of America website... google "Heise Papillons". Not a lot of information on their page, but the dog they have listed as the dam of their latest litter is titled and health tested so it would be worth emailing the breeder for more information.
Thanks, Will look them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts