Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I saw an ad on Kijiji for a Papillon that was just posted an hour ago. I emailed since they didn't leave a phone number and am still waiting for a reply. I mentioned it to my mother, who was exited when she heard they had a Pap, however, the more I spoke of the ad, she got suspicious. She thought that it was horrible that they are trying to get rid of this poor dog which they seem to care little about even if it was getting a good home; but I really want a Papillon and something like this doesn't happen to often (I've had this happen 2 weeks ago with a redandwhite female, oddly enough, but I called the owner an hour late and someone else got the puppy)...The drive to the owner is a good hour. To be sure this isn't a scam what questions should I ask? Should I make sure we meet half-way if we decide to get the dog?

*As a side note, I have seen this dog in another ad, by the same person who wanted to trade the dog for another breed since they aren't too fawned of the Papillon, which led my mom to be more doubtful....

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
This dog has been used for breeding AND they are holding out on registrations papers unless you pay more, what Pricks!! They just expect who ever gets this dog is going to use him for breeding and they think thats all he's good for.

You should e-mail the people and tell them you want to do AKC Agility with him and so you NEED the papers but you Don't want to breed him. See what they say to that!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Nargle - I know, but I was running out of options, Papillons here are hard to come by. ]:
@Keechak - I told her that I'm not really interested in breeding, she didn't mind at all; I want to get him neutured, I'm not interested in breeding him so I don't care much for the papers. Agility would be fun though...

Well, I called. The lady actually was very nice. :]
She is able to have the dog sent to me. I'm pretty sure he's real now xD ;
I got a lot of information on him, she told a bunch of things about him, with no hesitation. If I'm lucky he could be here in as little as two days! :3

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'd make sure you get those papers.. I am the paranoid type and tend to worry about dogs on kijiji and craigslist being stolen pets. I would definitely want some sort of proof of ownership on their part.. the papers, vet records.. something.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
How is she sending him to you? I haven't seen the add so I can't tell you if there's anything fishy going on or any red flags. As the others said Kiji is not the best place to be lookng for a pet of any breed or mix. One of the Dr's I work for just recently got scamed by a "breeder" on a similar type site. They had a non-refundable pay in full policy and then told her the puppy magicaly died of coccidia after she called concerned that her pup hadn't arrived at the airport yet. Are you paying for this dog? If so make sure you get a recepit in writing and that's it's refundable if the pet doesn't arrive or work out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would also wonder how she is "sending him" to you?

Do not sent any money before hand... if she asks then you will absolutely know that it is a scam and you will be out money and a dog.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The owners friend is going to get the dog (he lives fairly close to us) from her and we get the dog and he gets the money. So we'll be exchanging.

She said that if I can't/don't want the papers now, at a later time she can give them to me when I have the money for it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
There should be absolutely NO CHARGE to get the dog's papers. IF the dog is AKC registered the rule is that the papers are given with the dog unless the breeder is holding them until the dog's neutered. In other words unless there is a legitimate reason for not doing so, you should get the papers when you get the dog.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I think the fact that you have to ask if these seems fishy gives you your answer. Something is not totally right here and your mom has already picked up on it. The extent of how off things are is still unclear, but this business with the papers, and two ads, the reputation of the site....I dunno, it just seems risky. I know you want a dog like yesterday (boy can I remember/relate to that) but try not to rush or make compromises if something seems off. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
It is technicaly aginst the law for them to keep the papers from you. And you can and should contact the AKC and request to get a transfer of ownership done. There could be complecations in the future if this guy still has your dog listed as his own.

Ask Him if you can have the papers after you send him a copy of your dogs Neuter report. Then tell us what he says I would like to know.

Papers should never cost extra THAT is a scam in every scence of the word!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
AKC papers cannot be given because you pay more! That's ridiculous! AKC has rules telling the breeders they have to give the papers while making a sale.

Definitely get the papers, tell the owner about the AKC rules and say you will report to AKC if they want to charge you more for it!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Papers should never cost extra THAT is a scam in every scence of the word!
AKC papers cannot be given because you pay more! That's ridiculous! AKC has rules telling the breeders they have to give the papers while making a sale.

Definitely get the papers, tell the owner about the AKC rules and say you will report to AKC if they want to charge you more for it!
Couldn't the seller just say the higher price for the papers was just the original price, and get away with it? I mean, there's no rules about how much you can charge for a dog.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a bit of an update~

So, we made the plan to meet up at 7pm on a Thursday and we were there right on time, though when we call he hadn't left from the womens house yet, and was just about to leave from her house. They are a good hour and a half away and waiting in a city we don't live in wasn't going to happen (we were just in the area) so we had to cancel everything. To think, I was an hour away from getting my very first pap! D:

Well, I find out that the lady never ends up selling the dog so she(well the guy anyway) sends him to the animal shelter, which just happens to be in the area we were going to get the dog in. There are 2 shelters, one of which we know someone who works at; I ask him if they recently got a black and white male Papillon and he says yes, so hopefully, if he's good and healthy and someone doesn't get him before us, in the end of this long journey we end up getting him! :] He will be neutured, mircochipped, vaccinated, and all that good stuff if we get him! If not, I guess I'll continue searching.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts