Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a rescue Papillon for 18 months, but think we need to find her a new home. She is 6 years old and very hyperactive. She licks excessively, wants constant attention, jumps in circles when she's excited, is reactive to other dogs on walks and seems to be unable to sleep for long periods. This poor sleeping is causing us problems since she gets off the bed and wanders around, but then barks when she wants to be lifted back. (Don't suggest we ban her from our bed since my husband insists on this). She will sometimes snap at our other dog, a Cavalier, who is extremely placid. We are close to 80 and need more rest than we're getting. My husband and I argue about what to do about her a lot. I don't want to quieten her with medication.
We don't think we can manage her any longer and need to know what sort of home would best suit her.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have had a rescue Papillon for 18 months, but think we need to find her a new home. She is 6 years old and very hyperactive. She licks excessively, wants constant attention, jumps in circles when she's excited, is reactive to other dogs on walks and seems to be unable to sleep for long periods. This poor sleeping is causing us problems since she gets off the bed and wanders around, but then barks when she wants to be lifted back. (Don't suggest we ban her from our bed since my husband insists on this). She will sometimes snap at our other dog, a Cavalier, who is extremely placid. We are close to 80 and need more rest than we're getting. My husband and I argue about what to do about her a lot. I don't want to quieten her with medication.
We don't think we can manage her any longer and need to know what sort of home would best suit her.
It sounds like she needs more mental and physical exercise than she's getting. If you're not up for physically walking her, can you get a relative, neighbor kid, or dog walker to do it? As far as mental exercise goes, my dogs seem to find trick training really fun (and exhausting - they sleep like babies afterward). Most tricks are not very exerting for the human. Maybe get a book like this: https://www.amazon.com/101-Ways-More-Your-Dog-ebook/dp/B004PLNSAO and start working on it? Food puzzle toys work well for mental exercise, too - you can make your own, or buy them. As far as the bed goes, could you not make or buy a little stair for her to come up and down on her own? Or put something like an ottoman beside the bed as a step?

It seems to me that if your husband can't bring himself to even kick her out of bed, it's worth trying some things to make her behavior more agreeable before you consider rehoming her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts