Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to see a pap puppy tomorrow!! Im very excited :)
I have a 5 mth old mix male puppy and Ive only ever had one dog at a time so its a new experience :)
I think ive put a pic on of her, shes the pup on the left. I would like to have a go at showing so opinions on her markings (i know you cant see the whole dog) and ears are more then welcome. Her breeder is kennel club accredited and shows which are both good.
Ive done quite a lot of reading on the breed but any advice is always more then welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I think her blaze will grow to be a lot thinner when she's older. My pup used to have a huge blaze and now that she's 8 months old she only has a line of white left.

It's very hard to judge if a pup is show quality unless you see their personality, stance, walk, etc. So with just a picture, it's almost impossible to judge!

Ask the breeder to show you how she walks and ask the breeder about her markings, stance, etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, it's very difficult to say from just one pic, but I agree that her blaze will probably close in some. Someone told me that larger blazes are preferred, but I'm not sure how accurate that is/if it varies by judge.

I would see her walk, see what she looks like when she's stacked, etc. Also, what have her parents done? Other dogs in her line? That may help give you some idea of how she'd do in the ring. If the breeder is good, he/she should also be able to give you some indication of the pup's prospects - she will, after all, have their kennel name, so they should want you to be showing the best possible representation of their lines.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The breeder has said she wants the pup to go to a home where it will be shown only (obviously also as a pet and not to a breeder/puppy mill). She thinks the pup has show potential. Both parents have been shown and placed but not at championship level.

Whats stacking a puppy?

Papillons arent very common in the uk, and from the few litters ive seen she has the most symetrical face. They generally seem to be very wonky or with no blaze at all which is a fault (isn't it?)

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Well no blaze is not a 'fault' but blazes are preferred. I've seen quite a few no blaze dogs finish their championships.

You mean the puppy is sold to you as a show pup? No spay or neuter contract? Then you can probably try showing since the breeder believes her to be show potential. But showing takes a LOT of work. It's important to learn how to handle properly and to perform during the show.

Unfortunately I can't help you much since I don't show. My Pap is show quality but I bought her as a pet and decided to sign a spay contract anyways. Both her parents are Can Champions and there are 4 or 5 international champs in the line so it's actually a bit of a shame not to show her. But she's still a great pet!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She has no contract but I dont think I'm anywhere near experienced enough to breed :O. I suppose if she was very successful then I could find a mentor etc but i can't see it happening. I have ring classes organized if i get her and my friend shows bedlingtons to a very high level and is a groomer so shes offered to help with the grooming (show me how) and advise on showing. If she ends up being a rubbish show dog then so be it I'll have a nice pet and we'll try agility instead. I would like to give myself the best chance that i can though.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Go for it! It will be a lot of fun!

In Canada and the US (AKC/CKC) conformation dogs are only allowed to be shown when they aren't fixed. So even if you're not breeding, you cannot get her spayed if you want to show.

Let us know if how you're doing with the showing when you do it! Hope your dog will do great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts