Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm adopting an older retired show/breeding dog from a good breeder, and I just have a bunch of questions! :)

would a 24' crate be a good size?

how is your daily grooming routine like?

How do your dogs handle the cold? any good place to get sweaters/pajamas?

Im gonna be living in connecticut, so do you think, just in case it is WAY to cold to go outside, to teach my dog how to use a doggy litter box w/newspaper in it?

I plan on walking my dog 4 times a day, thats what my schedule allows and thats how often im out and about anyway. But, i've never had a small dog before. do you think thats too much?
theres also a great fenced in area next to my building where he can play, the breeder tells me he adores fetch!

I've found a great vet (my university has a great in campus vet) but one thing im still struggling on is food. Innova small bites is what I'm thinking now.. good choice?

I ordered a small puppia harness for him (its blue) and a lead with tag.
Im waiting for closer to his "arrive" time to order the rest of his supplies

The dog in question is a boy.. he was being shown but has a loose knee, it won't require surgery or anything. According to the breeder and videos of him ive seen he is as adventurous and active as ever and in NO pain. but its still something she doesn't want to introduce into her breeding program. he takes supplements to help with his knee. He will be neutered prior to coming to me
Ive never had a boy dog before! lol

For those who are curious, the breeder is Forevr papillons. I had to do an interviews over the phone and an application but Im so happy :D
I also had to let her know info on my lease and college class schedule. so rest assured, I am fully ready for this responsibility. I have the funds, time, and the love to give. I will be staying in my current apartment/school for 5 years, because im staying for 5 years and because I did a bunch of AP classes in high school, my schedule for these 5 years is pretty relaxed and totally ready for a dog. after these 5years then I'll be going to vet school back in florida, where Ive already find an apartment in my price range that takes small dogs.. believe me. I wouldn't take on this responsibility if I wasn't 100% sure this dog would have an EXTREMELY happy home for its whole life.

as some of you know, Kenya, my GSD has to stay home when I move away for college due to weight restrictions/breed restrictions..believe me, i did everything possible to bring her with me but it just wasn't possible or in her best interest. she is an incredibly active dog, has seperation anxiety, and doesn't deal with change well. she enjoys being in my household with my family, someone home with her 24/7 and her doggy brothers and sisters to play with.

My little pap arrives August 20th :D I'll post pictures as soon as hes here!

I will also need some name suggestions, I don't really like his name AT ALL lol hes a small tri boy, ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Well, I'm adopting an older retired show/breeding dog from a good breeder, and I just have a bunch of questions! :)

I have Vari-kennel 100 size for our papillons and pomeranian. They fit just fine. Don't know how that equates to a 24" kennel...

We comb out under the ears every evening, brush the whole dog a few times each week, bathe as needed

We get winters down to 0 degrees and they do fine. You might have to carry the dog to a place where the snow is not so deep to eliminate. Or have a small broom you can take outside to sweep off a small place. Our smallest papillon (also a retired show dog and 7.5 pounds) gets a bit chilly in the winter as we keep our thermostat set low. So I went to the baby/toddler section at Walmart and bought a 3-6 month size sweatshirt for her. Works great when she is in the house. And they all have convential dog coats to wear if they go for a walk when the weather is cold.

Im gonna be living in connecticut, so do you think, just in case it is WAY to cold to go outside, to teach my dog how to use a doggy litter box w/newspaper in it?
You will really confuse the dog...is it ok to eliminate inside or outside???

I plan on walking my dog 4 times a day, thats what my schedule allows and thats how often im out and about anyway. But, i've never had a small dog before. do you think thats too much?
Four times per day is fine. My dogs go out as soon as they wake, after breakfast, after dinner, and before bed.

theres also a great fenced in area next to my building where he can play, the breeder tells me he adores fetch!

I've found a great vet (my university has a great in campus vet) but one thing im still struggling on is food. Innova small bites is what I'm thinking now.. good choice?
What is the dog eating now? I would stick with what the breeder is feeding for at least one month until the dog is settled into your home.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I'll get back to this tomorrow morning, but OMG I'm soooo happy for you! I know how long this has been coming. :) It sounds like things are going to work out great for both you and Kenya. I know how hard it is to leave a 'family dog' behind but sometimes it really is in their best interest. (I've definitely been there before) You're going to have so much fun with your little boy, though, and I can't wait to see pictures.

Good luck waiting until the 20th. ;)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think this would be fine, Giz sleeps very comfortabley in the small-medium sized crate and he's a bit tall for the breed.

I use a really fine comb, like a flea come and comb out his ear fringe.. and use a pin-style brush to brush the rest of his body..every night. He gets a bath about once every 2-3 weeks..and is sent to the groomer for a sanitary trim once a month. Paps also have a tendency for sharp nails, we clip the ends off regularly and smooth down with the pedipaws.

I don't know how Roxy will be, but Gizmo doesn't even notice the cold. He bounds like a bunny through the snow and everything. Just make sure to check between his paws and dry him really good when you bring him inside. We went to our local pet supply store and bought him a little green camo hoodie for extra warmth..but he wasn't phased either way..

What part of CT are you going to be living at? I'm in CT, pretty central in Meriden, but I am always visiting the South-Eastern part. That's where my parents live. I wouldn't train with the litter box, only because he'll just get confused. The cold here isn't awful..you'll get used to it fast..just invest in a really good winter coat and gloves.

I think this is fine. My Giz could probably do much more then 4 walks!

I've never heard of this food, so I will get back to you on this. My Roxy eats Eukanuba, and Gizmo eats Nutro. Once again, let me know what part of CT you will be in, incase you have troubles with your vet, I know some great ones..and our regular vet is amazing without being expensive.

Congrats on getting a Forevr Pap! The lady who breeds them is amazing..I want to own one, one of these days..

He looks like a little Romeo!

What kind of names are you into? I love picking them out.. =]

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this would be fine, Giz sleeps very comfortabley in the small-medium sized crate and he's a bit tall for the breed.

I use a really fine comb, like a flea come and comb out his ear fringe.. and use a pin-style brush to brush the rest of his body..every night. He gets a bath about once every 2-3 weeks..and is sent to the groomer for a sanitary trim once a month. Paps also have a tendency for sharp nails, we clip the ends off regularly and smooth down with the pedipaws.

I don't know how Roxy will be, but Gizmo doesn't even notice the cold. He bounds like a bunny through the snow and everything. Just make sure to check between his paws and dry him really good when you bring him inside. We went to our local pet supply store and bought him a little green camo hoodie for extra warmth..but he wasn't phased either way..

What part of CT are you going to be living at? I'm in CT, pretty central in Meriden, but I am always visiting the South-Eastern part. That's where my parents live. I wouldn't train with the litter box, only because he'll just get confused. The cold here isn't awful..you'll get used to it fast..just invest in a really good winter coat and gloves.

I think this is fine. My Giz could probably do much more then 4 walks!

I've never heard of this food, so I will get back to you on this. My Roxy eats Eukanuba, and Gizmo eats Nutro. Once again, let me know what part of CT you will be in, incase you have troubles with your vet, I know some great ones..and our regular vet is amazing without being expensive.

Congrats on getting a Forevr Pap! The lady who breeds them is amazing..I want to own one, one of these days..

He looks like a little Romeo!

What kind of names are you into? I love picking them out.. =]
I dunno, I was thinking something cute and short if possible (2 syllables or less) I was thinking about Bounce.. I dont know why lol she told me he loves to hop and jump around

I'll be living in storrs.. ive only visited CT once.. lol so im not sure where anything is.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Oh! Will you be going to UConn? I was just out there for my sister's dance recital! lol.. You'll find that CT is really boring and uneventful.. I don't know much of Storrs, the next town over is Willimantic, and they have alot of stuff going on..and almost everyone owns a dog..lol.

Hey, who knows! Maybe we can get our Paps together to play sometime! I have yet to meet another Pap in CT, besides Roxy's breeders!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh! Will you be going to UConn? I was just out there for my sister's dance recital! lol.. You'll find that CT is really boring and uneventful.. I don't know much of Storrs, the next town over is Willimantic, and they have alot of stuff going on..and almost everyone owns a dog..lol.

Hey, who knows! Maybe we can get our Paps together to play sometime! I have yet to meet another Pap in CT, besides Roxy's breeders!
Ya, im going to Uconn :) ya i know.. the campus is kind of all there is but im sure ill find a way to stay entertained. Id love to get together!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Congrats, the campus has an awesome Friendly's resteraunt on it.. that to me is better then any other Friendly's..lol! so make sure you go get some food from there!

We will definitely have to PM eachother and set something up for a Pappy Playdate! by the Roxy will be a little bigger, and Giz's stitches will be all healed up..and they'll both be able to play well!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Okay the questions (though you know all about my crew lol)

I'll have to measure mine... Summer is taller than everyone else so hers is bigger. Your boy looks smaller in the pictures but ti's hard to tell.

Nonexistent. Honestly, we brush weekly and comb ears. Every month I do a sanitary trim, trim up the pads, and clip nails. They are the easiest breed I've ever had grooming wise.

It depends. the boys all love it and the girls hate it. Harry in particular would jump and shove his head down in any snow. Summer will get used to it and be fine but Rose acts like anything wet and cold melts her.

I have absolutely no experience with that. Summer had some issues when I first got her because she'd been pad trained. She ended up peeing on a couple rugs. Other than that I don't have any experience at all.

I don't think that's too much at all. summer and I do one large walk a day that lasts about 2 hours. We also do small play sessions throughout the day. My boys are fetch fiends like you've never seen before (even moreso than our retriever). That is their favorite game to play.

Paps aren't the most laid back breed typically. Mine are always up for more. On the other hand, they're perfectly fine just chilling all day so long as they're with you. If they're with you and involved in what you're doing, they're happy.

We've had some serious issues finding food that works for all the paps. Beau has allergies and Innova didn't work for him. EVO is the best food for Summer hands down. Paps in general seem to have sensitive stomachs. The best foods for mine have been Blue Buffalo, Fromm, and Eagle Pack Holistic (what we're on now). Summer will be switching back to Innova EVO once we get back to school though.

He's handsome. I've always said I'd name any boy papillon I get Napoleon (Leo), but I'm bad with names. That's obvious, we have a dog named Nard. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts