Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 week old papillon aim a new puppy owner. My husband and I got our puppy (villy) Thursday so he has been with us fir about five days he was traveling a lot during the first three and in about 3 diffrent places with in those three days. I was primarily taking care if him ie holding cuddling training on harness ect. Now that we are home and trying to get him settled the more questions I end up having.
First he seems to be extremely attached to me but nips snaps yelps and growls at my husband when he try's to hold him or remove the harness. Villy doesn't do it all the time but he never does it with me. For instance tonight villy was chewing on his harness and my husband saud no like I do, and tried to get the harness from his mouth like I do and villy freaked! I'm getting worried cause I
Constantly read that aggressive behavior is not in the paps nature.
I keep reading that the are polite and kind and patient and when villy does the aggressive yelping and trying to snap at my husband I don't know what to do.
My question really is do I just be patient with him let my husband feed and give treats and try and hold and play with villy even if he acts up? Is this a typical for a pap puppy?! Please help I'm new. I want villy to be fun loving and kind. Thank you for helping!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Villy sounds like a typical puppy. When it is suggested a breed tends to be "non-aggressive" this does not mean they will not show puppy behaviour, and there are also individuals in each breed that veer away from the norm. What really needs to be understood is that the training by the owner (inadvertent or purposeful) is what makes a huge difference with regard to how a puppy of any type turns out behaving in age.

The behaviour Villy displayed toward your husband when he was trying to get the harness away sounds like a bit or resource guarding. With regard to Papillons I have known many, and I've seen some resource guarding within the breed, but it is usually displayed by pups testing their boundaries and is usually easily trained away from. Keep in mind, as well, that some Papillons (and other small dogs usually) can be very adverse to rough handling. It takes them a while to trust those that are a bit abrupt (my son is one all dogs learn to love BUT he puts some off in the beginning with his abrupt handling and mannerisms).

It sounds as if Villy has attached himself to you and is not yet trustful of your husband. That trust has to come with time and many pups, in transition, will attach to the primary caregiver first. This lack of trust also plays into the resource guarding that is being displayed. I encourage you to read the training information on reasource guarding here: - http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/resource-guarding/

An excerpt from the above link:

. . . So if the answer is not to “dominate” your dog or shower it with freely available food, then what is it? Simple. Make your puppy or dog understand that the approach of a human to his food, toys, space, etc. is a Good Thing. The process is called classical conditioning. . .
And to answer your questions, patience is going to be necessary, but there is also a fine line and an owner has to watch that a pup doesn't perceive coddling as encouragement for bad behaviour. Often times with pups, especially if they are resource guarding "you" against a significant other (as many small dogs do), they have to be placed off your lap and ignored by you while encouragement towards trusting the 'other' is made.

I also encourage you to google "small dog syndrome". There is lots of training information out there with regard to this. Please sort through for what might apply to your new little one.

Most Papillons I have known do NOT like the rain. I do know a couple that LOVE to swim though.

Best of luck with this little one . . . would love to see some pictures! :)

SOB

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
That's great advice. Also, please keep in mind that very, very few puppies this young are actually aggressive. Usually, it's puppy bad behavior, because they haven't been trained or taught manners yet, and sometimes a bit of guarding. I don't want you to think I am taking your concerns lightly, but, your puppy sounds like a puppy, insecure, scared in a new home, and a bit crazy at times.

Here are a few things to think about, at your leisure:

- As for the harness behavior, try to teach the "leave it" command, as well as "give" or "drop". That will come in handy when you need to get something away from your puppy.

- It doesn't even need to be "rough handling" as some other posters have said. It could really be ANY handling, at least from someone he's not comfortable with, or in a situation he's nervous about.

- Growling has gotten a bad rap. Growling is the only way a dog can communicate when they are upset, hurt, scared, nervous, or uncomfortable. It really can come in handy. For instance, if your dog has an injury you didn't know about, they may growl when you touch them, and it lets you know. Also, dogs growl sometimes if they're sick, and you are bugging them (just like people, they don't always want to be bugged when sick). Or they can growl if someone touches them in a way their not comfortable with, or gets too close to them.
Lots of times, if a dog growls, it's a warning, to let us know that they are sick, hurt, scared, whatever, and if we don't respond to the warning, they may bite. It's kind of like saying "please stop", and then if we don't, they go to the next step up. If we punish or discourage a growl, they may stop the warning, and just go straight for the bite anytime there's something wrong.

Now, that's not saying you shouldn't find out why the growling happens, and then try to fix the situation so there's no need to growl, you definitely should. You just shouldn't think of a growl as an aggressive behavior, necessarily, because it's really a form of communication.
In your situation, the growling, I suspect, has to do with fear or insecurity around your husband, as he doesn't seem to "guard" the harness from you, right?

Oh, and I forgot, puppies also have a "play growl", but you will learn the difference between how that and a normal growl sounds.

- Nipping and snapping is often puppy play, so be prepared for a lot of that as your puppy settles in. Check out the sticky at the top of the forum page, "The Bite Stops Here." Puppies bite and mouth, and nip, the same way a human baby puts everything in their mouth. It's how they play and learn about the world.

Like I said in your other post, let Villy come to your husband, have your husband take over some of the caregiving, and feeding. And, have him toss a treat in Villy's general direction whenever he walks by him. (Instead of actually hand feeding it. Tossing it towards him gives Villy the chance to get the treat without feeling like he has to come to close. Gradually, he should be ok with coming closer.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you spanielorbust and doximommy!
This form is great! Like I said villy is my first so I'm not used to puppy behavior lol good to know that I am doing a few things right!
With the harness thing I think it's slightly to big for him at the moment and being new to everything he's not used to it so he try's to bite it or chew on it I continuously say no and gently tap his cheek or nose to distract him from doing it. I was wondering though if I should give him a treat when he stops or if that he might think I'm
Encouraging the behavior?!
I've been using treats to get him to come and sit. Sit is getting there but come is harder cause ether he comes before I ask or gets distracted and loses intrested in what I'm doing haha. Any suggestions or am I maybe trying to train to early?
Thanks again guys I really appreciate the feed back!!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
How is your husband trying to grab him or pick him up? That's my first question. As SOB said, small dogs tend to like gentle handling and in fact a lot of papillons aren't all that cuddly to begin with. some are, like my young one is, but she needs to trust the person first before letting them pick her up.

My advice would be to slow down the 'cuddling' and holding and just let the dog come up to your husband on its own. Let the husband be a source of very good things but don't force the interaction. In my experience trying to force the dog to like the person often backfires because the dog is already stressed and then is made to be around the person they're scared of.

He definitely sounds scared versus aggressive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Laurelin
My husband is being gentle and extremely loving with him. When I'm not around villy is perfect for him apparently haha plays runs cuddles my husband. We are trying out my husband hand feeding him sonvilly will possibly associate my husband with good things. My husband is more patient than I am.
This morning villy freaked again with him trying to put the harness on for his morning potty. So Dave genteelly and calmly held villy till he stopped biting and yelping. Though my husband than made me put on the harness and take him potty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts