Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :)

Our pup Louis is coming up for 5 months old (6th Nov), we got him when he was 12 weeks old and although this is our first Pap so we have never seen the "uglies", we were expecting them to come soon (because up to know, we have seen no stage we would consider the "uglies"). However over the last couple of weeks his coat has really grown and his tail is really filling out. He looks beautiful.

Did we miss the uglies or does their coat grow before this happens?

Dee

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I adopted Basil when he was already a year and a half, so I don't have a lot of experience with "uglies," but based on pictures other pap people have posted of their pups during the "uglies" stages, I honestly don't think they look ugly at all :D Maybe they look as though their fur is a little thinner and more sparse, but I dunno, there isn't a ton of difference in my opinion.

Also, for what it's worth, Basil's coat has been getting thicker and longer all the time. He looks a lot different than when I first adopted him at 1.5 years old, and he's 2 now. Though I have put him on a much healthier diet and he is groomed a lot better than he was on before I adopted him. But I've heard that a Papillon's coat won't be fully mature until they're around 4. Honestly I can't wait, lol! I'm excited to see how much prettier Basil gets by the time his coat is fully mature!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
5 months and he should be in the 'uglies' right now lol. It's not really that they're ugly, they just get pretty short haired and usually VERY lanky looking. I usually don't notice at the time but I do notice when I go back and look at pictures.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Uglies are between 3 months to 4.5 months. At least Nia's passed after 4.5 months.

Usually winter pups don't get them as much. I mean if they are at that age close to winter (fur growing season), it's not very noticeable because they will grow some fur to accommodate for the cold. And even with the puppy coat falling out, it isn't that noticeable.

Like Lauren said, the uglies is just that they get a little furless, no puffy fur and look pretty skinny.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

I think we had the totally wrong idea of what the "uglies" were, we though he was going to go almost completely bald lol, as that is the impression the breeder gave us they said " they really do look ugly during that stage".

However we haven't really noticed any real difference in him from when we first got him until now (he's always looked lovely), although thinking about it now his coat did look a little thinner for a couple of weeks, but it was nothing noticeable, I also never noticed him being lanky, but as you said Laurelin we will probably notice it down the line when we look back over the photos :)

The breeder majorly over exaggerated, that's for sure ;)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Keep in mind breeders typically are very critical of their breeding stock and like to notice all of the flaws, where to you all you see is a beautiful little pap puppy :p

·
Registered
5,714 Posts

I think we had the totally wrong idea of what the "uglies" were, we though he was going to go almost completely bald lol, as that is the impression the breeder gave us they said " they really do look ugly during that stage".

However we haven't really noticed any real difference in him from when we first got him until now (he's always looked lovely), although thinking about it now his coat did look a little thinner for a couple of weeks, but it was nothing noticeable, I also never noticed him being lanky, but as you said Laurelin we will probably notice it down the line when we look back over the photos :)

The breeder majorly over exaggerated, that's for sure ;)
Well I think a lot of breeders do this. Because as far as I've heard, many people try to return their dogs at the bald stage. Especially I've heard from a long haired Chi breeder. She said during the uglies stage people return the Chis and say they were ripped off, lied to, etc. etc. So I guess a breeder would exaggerate it to make sure that you know it's going to happen and it's not some kind of disease/bad genes and that you won't return the pups.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh, then I guess that is why, can't believe people actually try to return pups.

Thanks

Dee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts