Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Our pup Louis is now 6 months old, until now he has been on dry food and whilst he has never been overly enthusiastic (compared to some dogs at meal times) he has ate it. I thought we needed to try a different brand, which we did but he just picks at it.

Worried that he was losing weight, I started to give him pieces of ham, which as you can imagine he wolfs down, but now he is refusing point blank to eat him dry food. I have tried adding some gravy to it but he just licks the gravy off and leaves the rest, I even tried adding a little ham but he just picks the ham and doesn't touch the rest. Even adding scrambled egg he still just eats the egg.

For the last few days at meal times he just looks/stiffs his food and when he realises it's just his regular food he walks away.

This is the third brand of dry food we have tried.

Can anyone give me some advise :)

I don't want to put him on wet food because I know from past experience that it doesn't make their breathe spell great and their poops tent to be a lot looser.

Thanks

Dee

·
Banned
1,628 Posts
If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will wolf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

If anything he wasn't eating enough to begin with, instructions of the packet were very confusing, but he more than made up for it with his treats, so I wasn't concerned.

We have now got the amount right but he won't touch it, he has even begun to turn his nose up at his training treats (sticks, chews etc), which he loved in the past.

He hasn't touched his dry food for 3 days and I don't know what to do :(

I know that I should stop giving him richer foods like ham etc, but without these he'd have had nothing to eat.

He is holding out until I give in, that I am sure of.

But what can I do, today for example he has ate nothing so far, well apart from a tiny peice of meat that accidently dropped of hubs plate, oh ye he jumped at that, so there is nothing wrong with him, he is just being stubborn.

But I can't leave him all day having ate nothing.

Dee

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Papillons are picky and very opportunistic eaters (plus they will walk all over you if you let them). They will often snub their kibble ESPECIALLY if you start adding things to it. summer did this when I first got her. I was concerned she wasn't eating so I added wet EVO to it and a little cheese and meat. Then soon enough she would only eat the wet food and the cheese and soon enough she just wanted the cheese and meat. I eventually stopped doing that because I realized she was not eating what she needed to. She pouted a few days and refused the food but finally she ate and has been okay with eating ever since. Papillons are in general though not the most enthusiastic dogs about eating, at least 4 of ours aren't. (The other's a pig) They have a reputation for being picky eaters.

If your dog is healthy, he will not starve himself, however I'd try to find a brand of kibble he does like.

What kibble is he on? Summer does not like a lot of the kibbles I tried, but will eat a few of them better.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Just ignore him and don't feed anything else. Nia is like this all the time. Even if I don't feed her anything, some days she'll eat her full serving and some days she won't even eat anything.

They are just that way and it may take about 2 days of ignoring him before he starts eating his dry food again.

Don't be too worried about it, and changing food doesn't really help unless he wasn't doing well on the brand you're feeding.

Just feed him what you fed before that he used to eat and don't add anything to it. He'll be fine and eat when he feels like it.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
All my vets have said when they get hungry they will eat (unless they are sick). Both of mine don't always eat all that I give them. I had a dog who would regularly not eat a meal or two.

Yours has you trained...give me treats or I won't eat. Put the food down for 10 min. If it's not eaten, give him nothing (NOTHING) until next feeding time. Eventually he will eat.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I caught Leif "training" me too for "yummies"...at one time, the majority of all of his food was coming from "training sessions"..I now only cycle "training" days to make sure that he does know that his food is still his food...the extras are just "bonuses" on training days..I STILL do ALWAYS reward him for going potty outside, & for even letting me know when he has to go in the first place...I doubt that I will ever take that reward away!

I leave his bowl down with a few pieces of kibble in it all day though. I feed him once at night - before/during our dinner time. This is a tiny bit of ceaser puppy mixed with his dry food. He eats it, after its gone, I will wait a few hours, & put about a tablespoon of kibble for him to snack on. This tiny bit could sit there for hours on end mind you.

Also, our rule for ANYTIME that we eat, is that he gets ignored COMPLETELY. We don't even look at him. If he does whine, I will get up & say do you have to go potty "outside", & let him out...This quickly taught him that by whining when we ate, just got himself removed from the situation altogether -NOT HIS INTENTION either...tee-hee...I have 2 daughters, & using reverse psychology is almost second nature behavior for me to "dish out"...LOL...works on the pup too!! *winks*

One last little thing that I do when I notice the boy is ignoring his food for a bit too long, is -I will take a small handful of pieces, & throw one onto the floor somewhere close to him whenever he is not expecting it...the sound always gets him interested, & I say "find it"..he does, &, while he is eating that piece, & will pop another somewhere else(sometimes I throw it into the other room, bounce it off of the wall/celing..I have hard wood floors, so, this may not work if you have lots of carpeting)...anyhow, he has to listen to where it lands, but, of course, he happily goes "searching"..It is making it a game of sorts to him, he gets exercise, stimulation, & I get the satisfaction of knowing that he is getting a snack in when he would otherwise leave the "boring" food bowl alone.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Papillons are very good at problem solving. So if they want table food they will work you over until you are feeding them table food. Stop now.

I go with putting a feeding down 2 times per day with a scant 1/4 cup (use a measuring cup, just keep it in the bag of kibble) of food, pick it up after 15 minutes unless they are still working on it, actively. This has worked for every one of my foster dogs. One dog refused to eat for 5 days. (My own dogs are all little piggies and would eat the entire bag of kibble if left out for them!) Of course every new dog to my household is vet checked within the first 48 hours. If the dog is healthy a few days without food is no big deal. I also try to encourage plenty of exercise since this will also stimulate the appetite.

I would also get into a good training class with this dog. If he is manipulating you over simple things like food at 6 months imagine what he will be doing around your house in the future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well he was on Eukebuna initially this is what the breeder was feeding him. I understand that by some in the US that is not considered as premium dog food, however it is in the UK, it is recommended by vets.

He was okay with that, but I though that he never seemed really fussed (which is something new to us), although he would eat it. The others I have tried are from the local petstore and were recommended by the owner.

He loves him kong treats, but his fav was the pedigree puppy treats, but he wouldn't even touch them during training this evening.

Before all the replies came in saying not to gave in to him, It was too late because I already had ;)

My logic (which is probably completely wrong) was that the problem has become much more apparent since he started losing more of his teeth, he has lost 5 in total and with each one he loses he seems to go off his food even more, so I though maybe it was too hard for him, hense why he wasn't eating it. So I made him some scrambled egg with a little ham, but he wasn't interested in that either, he took about a teaspoon and that's it.

I think in almost every other area I have him well trained, but when it comes to food you are probably right about him having me trained, because I do tend to give into him, hubbie says he sees me as the fridge ;)

I do intent to follow your advise and not give into him because I understand that I am going to make the problem even worse, also hearing that he's not the only Pap who doesn't get overly excited at meal times really helps. Before this I would be really worried if he hadn't eaten all day and by the end of it I would have made him something else.

I will just present him with his dry food and see how he goes over the next few days, if he still refuses to eat it, I will take him to the vets to have him checked. It's tough because I can see he is losing some weight. I will still give him his treats for going potty and for doing his training, like yappypappymom said I see as rewards, so won't take them away, he deserves them.

I have to say I understand that it reads as if I am a complete pushover :) but I am honestly not, been there done that in the past, ain't going there again. Therefore for a young pup he is extremely well trained and obedient, and he does listen to me and if I need to stand my ground with him I will. It's just when it comes to food that I give in, because I don't want him to get ill.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I would take him to the vet first. You have to rule out any health problems. It's definitely abnormal for a healthy dog to refuse food. If you like, you can borrow Brutus and he would be more than happy to set the example. I once found that stupid animal neck deep in a bag of dog food no more than 5-10 minutes after a meal. Anyway, do what others have suggested. Put the food down for 10 minutes. If he eats it, great. If not, no food at all including treats for training until the next meal time. Again, this is after a vet visit has ruled out any health issues.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
I would get a vet check just to be sure.

And yes, Euk is sold by vets here in the US too. Vets tend to sell whatever a representative goes in to talk to them about, and that rep also gives them freebies, brings lunch for the staff, nice gifts at Christmas. Not sure in other contries, but several of the pet food manufacturers ship free food to vet students for their own animals. Our neighbors receive 3 shipments per week for all of their pets since their son started vet school. So, take what a vet sells with a grain of salt.

Euk is not an awesome food but it's not the worst. The worst is changing food when the dog refuses to eat. Find yourself a food that you can live with and stick to it...after the vet check and all is well.

When my dogs are teething I give them a clean dish cloth that I hat wetted and frozen. If you have a floor that you don't mind getting wet you can give ice cubes for teething chews as well. For food I could be tempted to give a dog canned food if the gums around the erupting teeth are really inflamed. I have nothing against canned food. We feed a raw diet and canned is the next thing closest to raw. It's just that most people don't want to pay a lot of money for the 75% of the can that is water. And don't worry about the teeth getting dirty because you're not feeding dry food. One of our dogs came to us missing too many teeth for easily chewing raw bones in meals. So she gets whole ground chicken, not chewing on the bones as they are ground, and her teeth are just as clean as the other dogs'. Clean teeth are more about bacteria that reside in certain mouths and the amount of sugars (carbohydrates) that are present in the diet. So if a soft diet would suit your dog then go ahead.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Ok. How come this dog is losing teeth? is he young losing puppy teeth? A small breed dog by 6 months old should have lost all it's puppy teeth at least 1.5 months ago. My Rottie pup is 17 weeks and just lost her last puppy fang last night. Tooth decay/peridontal disease? Does he have a mouth infection? Gum infection? All these would be good reasons for a dog to stop eating esp. now if you're seeing a weight loss from his refusal. Also the fact that now he refused the eggs and ham too... there's a deeper issue here in his mouth. Cracked tooth broken tooth something. He needs to see the vet.

Also don't put ANY faith in Eukanuba. All vets recommend it. They get a kickback from the sales (if it's a veterinary formula) and just about EVERY veterinary formula of Euk was on the petfood recalls in 2007.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Well I have an anecdote that may or may not apply in your case. Max usually ate his kibble fairly quickly although obviously he doesn't like it as much as wet food. Well one day he just stopped eating it and we worried he was sick. If we left it down he might eventually eat it, but very slowly. We started mixing it with wet food and he would eat it, but almost tried to eat around the kibble.

Turns out the bag had a resealable zipper that wasn't sealing. When we bought his next bag of food we immediately noticed that the new kibble was darker and more moist looking. His old food had just gone really stale. Now we are careful about that and even keep his resealable bags in an airtight container.

Maybe it's something like that? Check the expiry date on the food and make sure you are storing it somewhere airtight.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Ok. How come this dog is losing teeth? is he young losing puppy teeth? A small breed dog by 6 months old should have lost all it's puppy teeth at least 1.5 months ago. My Rottie pup is 17 weeks and just lost her last puppy fang last night. Tooth decay/peridontal disease? Does he have a mouth infection? Gum infection? All these would be good reasons for a dog to stop eating esp. now if you're seeing a weight loss from his refusal. Also the fact that now he refused the eggs and ham too... there's a deeper issue here in his mouth. Cracked tooth broken tooth something. He needs to see the vet.
Not necessarily. Mia didn't finish losing her teeth until she was 6.5 months.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Now that you mention that Laurelin I think I do recall reading somewhere that paps tend to hold on to their puppy teeth a bit longer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will make an appointment with the vet asap.

Glad to hear about the teething Laurelin, was starting to panic for a sec there thinking he was losing his adult teeth and we are really good with his teeth brushing, how old were your paps when they had all their adult teeth?

I actually gave him a couple of ice cubes to chew on last week because I could tell his teeth were bothering him and it did seem to help.

Regarding the seal on the bag, I can see how that could be a problem but not in this case because we only purchased the current one a couple of days ago and it is sealed and in a dark cupboard.

Having had dogs in the past who were on wet food and their breathe didn't smell great, even with regularly brushing their teeth, and also there poops were really lose and smelt bad, I'd ideally like to stick with dry food.

When you say a raw diet can you explain what you mean, what kind of foods does this consists of?

I wasn't swayed by the vets recommending Eukebuna, more by the fact that that was what he had become used to because that was what the breeder was feeding him.

I know some people say don't keep changing their food, but after the vet has checked him out (hopefully all being well) if he still isn't eating his food, what are you suppost to do, surely you have to keep trying different ones until you find one they will eat.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Will make an appointment with the vet asap.

Glad to hear about the teething Laurelin, was starting to panic for a sec there thinking he was losing his adult teeth and we are really good with his teeth brushing, how old were your paps when they had all their adult teeth?

I actually gave him a couple of ice cubes to chew on last week because I could tell his teeth were bothering him and it did seem to help.

Regarding the seal on the bag, I can see how that could be a problem but not in this case because we only purchased the current one a couple of days ago and it is sealed and in a dark cupboard.

Having had dogs in the past who were on wet food and their breathe didn't smell great, even with regularly brushing their teeth, and also there poops were really lose and smelt bad, I'd ideally like to stick with dry food.

When you say a raw diet can you explain what you mean, what kind of foods does this consists of?

I wasn't swayed by the vets recommending Eukebuna, more by the fact that that was what he had become used to because that was what the breeder was feeding him.

I know some people say don't keep changing their food, but after the vet has checked him out (hopefully all being well) if he still isn't eating his food, what are you suppost to do, surely you have to keep trying different ones until you find one they will eat.
Mia is 7 months and still missing one adult tooth but I'm kind of thinking it may just not exist. Beau didn't lose his last puppy teeth until he was 11 months but we ended up having to get them pulled. Most seem to be done about 6-7 months.

·
Banned
1,628 Posts
Yes, unless the vet finds something, you just have to tough it out. In addition to the one Shepherd, I even had a Lab that insisted on showing off his ribs. I actually did switch from the corn based Purina to a meat based food for him. He at least ate enough of it, I could take him out in public. I really can't see changing food. I have yet to see any evidence anything else is better than the Eukanuba.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Ok. How come this dog is losing teeth? is he young losing puppy teeth? A small breed dog by 6 months old should have lost all it's puppy teeth at least 1.5 months ago. My Rottie pup is 17 weeks and just lost her last puppy fang last night.
Actually many Papillons lose teeth very slowly and even retain puppy teeth a lot of the time. Nia was spayed at 7.5 months old and she still had 10 puppy teeth at that age that were removed by the vet.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I will still give him his treats for going potty and for doing his training, like yappypappymom said I see as rewards, so won't take them away, he deserves them.
Paps are small dogs so this might be enough food to sustain them depending on how many treats a day you are giving her. I would stop giving him treats but start using kibble as a reward. You have to make kibble valuable in his eyes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts