Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most effective method for paper-training toy breeds? I have 2 male toy poodles...the 5 yr old was given to me intact, and he has episodic seizures even on phenobarb. I had him neutered about 9 mo ago...hikes his leg on EVERYTHING...the pricey red fireplug hasn't worked. The other poodle is 15.5 mo old and was neutered at 9 mo when his 2nd testes finally dropped.

I also have unrelated 6 mo old Yorkies, a male and a female. I really want to paper-train these little ones because we have LOTS of hawks, etc in our rural area, and I don't want them to be "bait" on a leash outside. What has worked for me in the past just isn't working with these dogs at this time. Thanks for any help offered!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
The most effective way to potty train a dog is to take them out regularly on a schedule, and not afford them an opportunity to eliminate in the house...paper or not. Crate - take them outside to reward elimination - train/play with them - crate, rinse and repeat until they are house trained.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand...however, take note of the fact that I mentioned that there is a problem with hawks in this area, and I believe that it would be irresponsible of me to expose these pups to that kind of risk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been small breed dogs snatched by hawks and other birds of prey while the dog was wearing a harness and on a leash here in this area. I wasn't even thinking unsupervised...I'm thinking even when supervised outside. The hawks & birds of prey are a real danger to really small breeds (& small wildlife) in this area. Thanks for your feedback though.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You said what worked for you in the past isn't working this time...what have you tried that isn't working? That will help others not advise you to do something you've already done... :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There have been small breed dogs snatched by hawks and other birds of prey while the dog was wearing a harness and on a leash here in this area. I wasn't even thinking unsupervised...I'm thinking even when supervised outside. The hawks & birds of prey are a real danger to really small breeds (& small wildlife) in this area. Thanks for your feedback though.
So you plan to not take them outside at all?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I have honestly never heard of a paper trained dog that didn't also go other places in the house that sort of resemble paper...bathroom mats, floor rugs, pilse of laundry, the kitchen floor, etc. Your dogs are going to have to leave the house at some time; I would suggest training them to go to the bathroom during those times. Alternatively, you could build a fully enclosed dog run.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I can't imagine having 4 dogs pooping and peeing in my house. ...there has tto be a better solution to the bird problem......a kennel run maybe ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts