Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 year old golden retreiver/german sheperd has been panting alot lately and drinking more. Not excessively, just . . . more than usual. Her appitite is fine, so is her stool. Is there anything I should be concerned about or am I (like my wife says) just being a worrywart?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
It actually could be serious, or it could be something simple, I would call your vet and ask them what they say. If this was a younger dog I would tell you not to worry as much, but your dog is a little older, and sometimes excessive panting can be a not so good sign.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
With a dog that age it could be Cushings, Diabetes, or pain from arthritis, or something minor. get a vet checkup and geriatric blood workup done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I should elabroate a little, I mean it doesn't seem as bad as I originally said, now that I'm a little calmer. She runs around still, plays with her sister and brother, eats, her stool is solid and contains no blood, she is on heartguard. The panting is only every now and then, a more-than-usual every now and then, but only a little. Her weight if perfect also, not too skinny, not over. But like i said, she is panting more so lately, also it's not a fast pace pant but more a relaxed pant; still it's more than usual.

I apologize if I sound silly, forgive me, I have OCD, and get parinoid over the slightest thing, and I think she has a check up coming soon anyway, so unless she stops eating or if there comes to be blood in her stool or the panting becomes excessively rapid I think I'll hold off the vet. I have 3 big dogs and am always there for one thing or another, I can't afford to go unless I'm quite certain I must.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Oh yeah, one more thing I didn't mention, strangely she is licking her lips alot more too, as if she wants to eat something, or has something in her mouth. I looked in there and it seems fine, normal. Though I will call the vet for advice today.

P.s. She not doing the panting at all this morning. Beats me :confused:

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Acting hungry, panting, and drinking more water are all signs of Cushings. In fact, all of the diseases I listed could be present and the dogs will still eat well, play, have no stool changes.

With Cushings-
Generally, the dog will go through periods of panting and drinking excess water.
Cushings can cause heart problems, eye problems, and immunity problems.

Please don't wait to get him checked.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Lip licking can be nausea. At seven years old my vet starts recommending senior blood panels. Drinking more and lip licking can be signs of kidney disease which can be managed through diet. The blood test can pick up lots of different problems before the dog crashes which is easier for all concerned. Agree, don't rush before it is time for the checkup until something bad starts up but consider spending the extra money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts