Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started volunteering at my local Humane Society. They have a pair of Bloodhounds (to be adopted together) that are absolutely adorable. This pic doesn't do them justice but here it is

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
They certainly are beautiful.

Has the shelter looked into any local SAR (Search and Rescue) organizations or Law Enforcement Agencies to see if they would be interested in adopting these girls.

I know that many times a shelter will get in a dog that they think would be a good candidate for a particular job and they contact agencies who are more than happy to adopt the dog.

I worked with a woman whose son is a State Police Officer. His K9 came from the local shelter. The Dept. evaluated, adopted and trained him. He is now the Number 1 ranking Police K9 in his state with more 'finds' and apprehensions to his credit than any other dog. A real Rags to Riches story.

Just a thought......

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They certainly are beautiful.

Has the shelter looked into any local SAR (Search and Rescue) organizations or Law Enforcement Agencies to see if they would be interested in adopting these girls.

I know that many times a shelter will get in a dog that they think would be a good candidate for a particular job and they contact agencies who are more than happy to adopt the dog.

I worked with a woman whose son is a State Police Officer. His K9 came from the local shelter. The Dept. evaluated, adopted and trained him. He is now the Number 1 ranking Police K9 in his state with more 'finds' and apprehensions to his credit than any other dog. A real Rags to Riches story.

Just a thought......
I don't know but those are good questions. I'll ask my boss when I see her at an event next Saturday. They're young; 1 and 2 years old. So I imagine they could be productive law enforcement dogs for many years. And they are completely house trained. I think they will definitely find good homes.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Beautiful, beautiful dogs. It really says something about the whole dog overbreeding/population problem when less popular purebred breeds (although they may be more common in your area) wind up homeless. I hope they find a great home.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beautiful, beautiful dogs. It really says something about the whole dog overbreeding/population problem when less popular purebred breeds (although they may be more common in your area) wind up homeless. I hope they find a great home.
I don't know what actually happened but they're very well-behaved, well-trained dogs. It wouldn't surprise me if it was an owner who just could no longer afford them in this economy but anything is possible.

Although the HS does put down dogs, once the dogs pass behavior testing (as these two did), the HS makes an indefinite commitment to them so long as they don't become either aggressive or very ill and contagious. So having passed behavior testing, these two will almost definitely get a good home eventually. It is very sad to see them at the HS though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts