Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Don't let a puppy use you as a chew toy. Say, Ouch or No, etc, remove the puppy, and then leave the area immediately. Also, don't jerk when bitten, b/c the bite may not break the skin, but if you jerk away, you may tear the skin.

I suggest that you do the natural thing and yell Ouch!!! or any appropriate profanity that you can repeat ;-). The idea is to startle or surprise the puppy, but not scare her.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Rotts, Pitts, and Labs are very tough pups ... and you have to tell them that you are punishing them, otherwise, they think it's just more play ;-) One things that I like about the Ouch! & Withdraw Attention combination is that when my dogs do something that I don't like (after I've trained Bite Inhibition), then I can say Ouch! and they will stop. It's a communication enhancer, and I think it translates to "Please Stop, I don't like that. [Otherwise, I'll withdraw attention" But, I don't think the potential for punishment matters. I think it really is communication. ] So, when I was playing catch or playing tug, if my dog decided to play keep away, then I said Ouch! and went inside to end the play time. In each instance, the "keep away" stopped. On the other hand, Labs LOVE to be chased, so sometimes as a reward I WILL chase him ... but under my pre-defined 'rules'.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.