Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like something easy to get a hold of so I don't have to spend a grip at the vets office. I hear of some people using lower doses of aspirin? Anyone have any suggestions that won't hurt my dog?

My dog got hit by a car two years ago and has a few major surguries... FHO, steel plate in her femur and she had her blatter sewn back together. She is about 30 pounds. I just need some over the counter like human pain medication as she plays ball hard core and becomes very sore after playing.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Instead of medicating (especially without a vet consultation) I think I would try toning down playtime first. I know your dog is a Heeler and they have lots of energy but when going though a traumatic accident such as the one she had, even people have to change the way they behave sometimes. Her body has been damaged and may not be able to handle the strain of such a rigorous play session anymore. She really shouldn't be coming in so sore all the time. I would just be worried that if kept up, your dog could later develop a whole new set of problems.

Instead of a couple hard core play sessions, maybe try more frequent but lower stress sessions. Or start looking at different ways to use up some of her energy such as long walks, swimming (which if I remember right, is low impact), etc.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I agree with Dakota Spirit. Also consulting your vet before you administer any medication. We had two dogs die (that came into the vet clinic) because of long term dosing with aspirin. Both dogs bleed out in a matter of hours. The one owner was giving 4 coated aspirin a day! Brought the dog in for a visit because it was lethargic. Did blood work, platelet count was almost zero. Treated the dog as best we could. Owner called the next day and said that the dog had died.

·
Registered
288 Posts
sorry, nothing over the counter that I know of. My irish setter had osteosarcoma and took Tramidol (Rx) to help with the pain.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
If my dog is in enough pain to need pain relief, they probably need something prescription.

Keep in mind that not all pain is bad. Pain is what can keep dogs (and us) from really overdoing it and hurting ourselves further. Unlike people, though, dogs don't understand that they've been given medicine that takes the pain away so they need to take it easy. They just feel no pain so they can really push themselves farther than they should. I also don't overtreat mild/minor pain because I need to be able to truly assess their behavior and gait to know when they've really hurt themselves and may need vet attention.

That said...we have had dogs with chronic issues that cause flair ups of real pain that we manage at home. We have standing prescriptions for rimadyl and tramadol and we keep both on hand. The rimadyl is mostly for our seniors that can suffer arthritis pain. The tramadol is for my girl with a toe injury from lure coursing that is sometimes re-injured. Since your vet knows your dog has recovered from a serious trauma that can result in residual pain the rest of the dogs life, they may be willing to write you an RX for meds you can keep it home and just give as needed. You would need to talk to them about what your best options would be for managing the pain and when it's appropriate to give pain meds. Tramadol is a human med that you can have filled at a human pharmacy for $4 usually. There are a few "crossover" drugs like that, so if cost is a factor, you may want to talk to your vet if one of those will work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now my dog is prescribed to the chewable Rimadyl pills that are 100mg. I only give them to her when she gets really bad like in cold weather or when she plays to hard and can barely walk. I agree with toning down her play time, but she lives to play soccer and Frisbee.

Its like whenever I walk out, she runs and gets her toy and gives me those puppy dog eyes. Its hard not to play with her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts