Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was rather interesting upon further inspection and wondered if someone could tell me more about how this type of patterning happens?

Please and Thank You.

Here you can see his striped nails but what I am most curious about is the presence of the black.

This is Ozzie.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I don't think those quite count as pencil markings. Most fawn dogs seem like they have black near their paw pads.

I can't get over how fila-looking he is from some angles! How big is he?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had 2 fawn dogs before Ozzie but I don't remember if they had the same markings or not. He has a white blaze on his chest and white tufts in between his paw pads and on a couple toes but no other black fur. What causes that?

The more I research about Fila's the more I am convinced he has some in his ancestry. The personality fits, at least. He is around 95 pounds.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And someone told me that it was common for dogs to have multi-colored nails like his, is that true?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Can I show his picture to a friend of mine with filas?

All my dogs have multicolored toenails. I always thought it was more common for piebald dogs or dogs with white feet.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please do share! I know he isn't a CAFIB Fila or anything, but so many of his traits seem to fit. I am very curious to know what your friend has to say.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Gweeb is a mini version of Ozzies coloring and he has black striping in his nails just like that. I dont know what that means though in terms of color genetics. He isn't the first pug fawn I've seen with it and I thought it was just usual with that coloring to have a bit of black like that. Mastiff I had was the same except he had one black nail.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
We had a Jack Russel with a mixture of black and white nails. The "white" ones looked Ozzie's. No idea about the genetics of it. ;p Sydney has all solid black, though she has white feet (with ticking).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts