Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to take a few days of extra work for a friend of mine. I use to PCA for her before we both moved away but once in a while she comes back and I am around and I 'work' for her. By work, I mean that she is my good friend who happens to be disabled and I help her with everyday things. I get paid, yes, but its more like seeing an old friend for a couple days then anything.

Well, she's decided to rent a house on the beach. I will be there from Mon-Wed and I will be taking Ozzie (Bloodhound/Shar-Pei X, M, 3) with me. She has two dogs of her own; her retired SD Golden Retriever (10,f) and a spunky little black Lab mix (2,m). I have had both of her dogs at my house before for a couple weeks at a time and Oscar (Lab) really seemed to take to Ozzie. Micah (GR) is a sweet girl and no trouble at all. Ozzie just kind of ignored her.

The house is set up so the backyard is literally the Atlantic ocean. She said she lets Micah swim all day if she wants, thus I decided to take Ozzie and not Tyler. Ozzie would sleep in water if he could, I think.

I am excited but a little nervous. Ozzie is a shy, scared dog. I think he will do okay in this situation because the house is more secluded and it will only be her, her boyfriend and me. Big, strong men are his weakness (with hats! and beards! ohnoooooo!) and I've been assured we will have none of them.

I want Ozzie to have fun. I have visions of us playing ball together in the surf and him sprawled out in the sun on the porch. I have nightmares of him freaking out every time her boyfriend walks into the room, not getting along with Oscar, not eating, and barking at every squeak in the floorboard.

How do I ensure he enjoys himself and doesn't stress too much?

I plan on bringing his crate, which he loves. I also plan on bringing lots of yummy treats, balls and toys. I have DAP which I've used before with moderate success. I also plan on bringing a tie out/long line/something to contain him while out on the porch.

Now that I think of it, this is the first trip Ozzie and I have taken together. I guess it really is like a honeymoon!

Here is Oz, hiding under the coffee table at my friends apartment.
IMG_0291.jpg

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Ooooh....sounds like fun!! Staying in NH?

Maybe this little trip will get Ozzie out of his shell. =)

All I can recommend is to have the boyfriend ignore him for the most part. Most dogs can't stand that and will eventually say "hey! don't you see me here?" Have him keep some treats in his pocket and casually toss one to him when he walks by Oz, or is sitting on the couch, or playing on the beach. I don't know how food motivated he is, but it might work? Also try not to follow after him or coddle him if he decides he wants to hide. Let it go for an hour or so then have b/f ignore, walk right past him while tossing a goodie.

I'm sure you know, but be careful using a lead on a porch...especially if it's high up!

I'm sure it will be fine. Don't stress over it and Have Fun!!!!!!! =)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice. I think I will email the boyfriend and explain how Ozzie can be and ask him to kindly ignore him. I should also probably reassure him that Ozzie is just a big baby and not dangerous.

We are going to Scituate, MA. South of Boston but North of Cape Cod.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, Oz and I are back from our little vacation. It didn't exactly go as planned, (http://www.dogforums.com/dog-training-forum/100780-e-collar-appropriate.html) but I am VERY proud of Ozzie. He did great with all the equipment and wheelchairs and was a brave boy around the boyfriend. And he did his best to try to calm the other dogs.

Of course I was too busy to remember my camera up until I was packing the car to leave, but I got a few shots.

_MG_4979.jpg
_MG_4984.jpg
_MG_4931.jpg
_MG_4944.jpg
My friends retired SD, Micah. For a senior lady, she really gets around if there is a tennis ball involved!
_MG_4964.jpg
_MG_4926.jpg
_MG_4973.jpg
This is when the other PCA showed up. She remembered Ozzie from when he was a very young pup and decided to just get on down and cuddle. Ozzie handled it really well!
_MG_4940.jpg
(notice the Greenie? I don't lie when I say he is not interested in food! And out of all treats, Greenies are his favorite. I think that one sat next to him for an hour or two before he finally ate it)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts