73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say someone said your dog was theirs.
How does one prove Ownership of a dog?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone can chip a dog once thay find it and call it theirs.
All of mine are chiped,but their numbers are not registered.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
1. microchip
2. breeder DNA
3. Rescue/ vet information
4. Photographs
5. Family, friends etc....
6. The dog itself
7. you

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dogs papers don't prove ownership,as in AKC/UKC people put other peoples names on dogs papers for different reasons.
I am on some of the dogs I placed so that I could show the dog in the BBE class,Or I kept my name on to get credit for the CH the dog earned.I do not own the dog.
I also have kids names on some of my dogs so that they can show in Juniors.They do not own the dog.
I have dogs that my name is not on their papers. But I own them..

1. microchip
2. breeder DNA
4. Photographs
6. The dog itself
7. you

Ding,Ding,ding we have a winner.It is vet records that deside who owns a dog.Currant pictures also help.
If you can show you are the sole provider of that dog thru out it's life it's yours.

If you have a cat that say lives in your barn,just a wild cat not a pet.If you take the animal in for any reason.You own it,and are lieble for any damage done by said animal.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
In the case of multiple owners or partnerships or something for showing. I would make sure I had a legal document signed by all parties declaring me as the rightful owner of the dog. I thought you meant if someone stole the dog how would you prove it. I would also make sure there are witnesses to the event.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the case of multiple owners or partnerships or something for showing. I would make sure I had a legal document signed by all parties declaring me as the rightful owner of the dog. I thought you meant if someone stole the dog how would you prove it. I would also make sure there are witnesses to the event.
and that is how it should be all in writing,but sometimes we do things for friends that back fire.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
and that is how it should be all in writing,but sometimes we do things for friends that back fire.
Which is why the saying "never do business with a friend" is so important. One tends to find out how really good a friend is when doing business with them. Hopefully you have some witnesses to the deal at least that will vouch for you. Also possession is 9/10ths of the law so... If she/he has the dog, has shown it, has take it to the vet, training facility, been out and about with the dog. You have an issue. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which is why the saying "never do business with a friend" is so important. One tends to find out how really good a friend is when doing business with them. Hopefully you have some witnesses to the deal at least that will vouch for you. Also possession is 9/10ths of the law so... If she/he has the dog, has shown it, has take it to the vet, training facility, been out and about with the dog. You have an issue. Good Luck to you.
I have learned that everything will be in writing from now on.
I hope to know soon the out come of the case and if I get to keep my dogs.Dogs I bred,Owned, trained, titled, and payed for all the vet care.
Most of all dogs I can not live without.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just another benefit of owning mutts. Not only are they very unique looking, but there are enough of them out there that they don't get stolen very much.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
1. microchip
2. breeder DNA
4. Photographs
6. The dog itself
7. you
All of the above + Erick's answer. In a dispute over ownership, you want a preponderance of evidence on your side.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We went to court and the Judge could not deside how to tell who really owns a dog.
So we had to find him some people to talk to.To let him know how you tell ownership.
I got a Humane Officer and a Vet.
Hope they help.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
You should probably register the microchips. No reason not to.

If you have a cat that say lives in your barn,just a wild cat not a pet.If you take the animal in for any reason.You own it,and are lieble for any damage done by said animal.
IF they can prove that's the same cat you vetted. Without a microchip it's impossible. I TNR feral cats, so I know about that :D . Don't want to be held responsible for a feral just because I TNRed him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts