Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to financial problems, my friend gave me her dog to take care of for a few months. He is a Jack Russell Terrier mix, and is about 3 years old. He's been perfectly fine up until about a week ago. Whenever I touch his tail, he would yelp like it hurt. I contacted my friend, and she said that he has never done that before. Anyway, I figured he may have gotten it caught on something, and it was sore or something, but it's getting progressively worse as the days go by. Now even if my arm slightly brushes against even the tip of his tail he starts howling in pain, and and then growling insanely. This lasts for a good minute or two. We can't take him to the vet, because we don't have the money for that. I'm very concerned about for him though. Does anyone know what could be wrong, or how to help?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
He needs to see a vet. If you and your friend can't afford it, you need to find a new home for him where he will get the needed care. Failing to provide needed veterinary care, no matter what the reason, is considered neglect and is illegal and may be prosecuted in all 50 states. He is obviously in pain. You MUST do something. You CANNOT let him suffer, as he is doing right now.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Possibly some type of abscess? It obviously needs to be looked at by a professional (vet).

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
He needs to see a vet. He is in pain and it sounds like it is getting worse. It is cruel not to get him treated.

Ask a vet about a payment plan so you can pay the bill over time. It might not be as much as you think it will be. Try calling around too and basically pleading your case. Call your local humane society or shelter and see if they can recommend a low-cost vet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Many local vets here in my area understand completely and are willing to accept payment plans when asked nicely! You really need to get the animal treated and if you can't afford to take him to the vet, re-home the animal to someone who can. I'm not trying to sound mean at all, but when we take on the responsibility of animals we have to consider they can be costly and have an emergency plan in effect. It is not only cruel to let him suffer but may traumatize him. Alas, new pet owners usually over-estimate the cost of vet treatment, it may not be as much as you think.

The dog could have arthritis, or it could be a nerve that runs from the tail to another area in his body. These are only suggestions but by example a vet may try a CNS relaxant (nerve medication), a cortisone shot or mild pain medication first to see if there's improvement. This would probably be considered an office visit, level one exam and the cost of the medication, with a follow up appointment which some include in the initial cost. It shouldn't break the bank, but again this is only an example. Take the dog to the vet before it gets any worse, which can be even more costly. And again, these suggestions are only examples. I am not a licensed veterinarian (yet :)), and even vet's online cannot diagnose without an exam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts