Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, first time poster.

I'm a new owner of a 8-month female beagle. I just got her up-to-date on her shots and her heartworm test is being administered. Next comes the topic of spaying.

The place I took her to shots said they would charge $255 to spay. I called to other places and they all quoted me between 250-325 bucks to spay her. My parents own 2 blacklabs, one male one female, and all together it was $200 to spay/neuter them (respectfully).

I am wondering if anyone knows if these are average prices? I am full-time student atm with little income, i can afford the ~$300 to fix her, but if i'm getting a run-around please let me know.

Again, she's a female beagle, up-to-date on shots, 18.2lbs, clean bill of health. What should the average price to spay her be?

Thanks for your help guys :).

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I never hurts to shop around for prices. Different places can charge very different fees for the same services.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would also shop around. You might also check out the local larger dog shelters/humane societys Sometimes they offer low cost spaying. Another couple of sites to look at are www.spayusa.org & www.defendersofanimals they have links to low cost spay/neuters in your area. You can find a list of some of the shelters in your area through petfinder.com. Many of the shelters have websites that advertise the extra services they offer like low cost shot & microchip clinics, training classes etc.

I found a low cost neuter in my area through Craigslist, oddly enough. I just typed in low cost neuter in the search box one day & someone had posted a link to a low cost spay/neuter clinic nearby that had just opened up.

I live in the NE area of Conn & sadly spaying & neutering here is very expensive. Just to get my 8 lb dog neutered I had quotes anywhere from $350 to $875. The cost at the clinic was $125.

I even found some clinics that charge only $50 to $75 dollars, but sadly none of them were near me. ( TN & CA locations)

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
That sounds cheap to me. Our previous vet quoted us 250 for Frag's neuter. A spay would be a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went to the website spayusa.org, and my state is not on there. I had no idea a neuter was going to cost so much. I guess I need to start saving. Hoss is getting neutered in 6 weeks.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
There are the prices for my vet, straight off their website:
Spay & Neuter (Laser)
Spay (under 30 lbs) with Pain Meds - $100.50
Spay (over 30 lbs) with Pain Meds - $106.50
Spay (over 90 lbs) with Pain Meds - $155.00
Neuter with Pain Meds - $120.00
Neuter (over 90 lbs) with Pain Meds - $145.50

Full surgical bloodwork is required in dogs over 8, but you can also get it for peace of mind for $31 more.

-

Now, I'll mention I do a 140 mile round trip to see this vet because they are excellent and lower priced, so it negates my fuel costs. They aren't a low cost clinic, but our local low cost clinic charges right around the same. They did a dental and canine extraction for my adult dog for right around $100 even.
The local quotes (within my city) were ranged in the $300 for the dental and extraction.
You might try looking in other cities around you if you have the time and inclination to drive out of town.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Depends what's included with that.. do they do IV fluids? Blood work? Pain medication? It's important to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

My one girl cost over $400 to spay, the other (same breed/size etc) was a little over $200 at a different clinic but she also didn't get any pain meds to go home with (which I will never forgive myself for).

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I am on a limited budget as well, but to me the trustworthiness of the vet is most important. So it depends. Four years ago I had Cracker spayed and her rear dewclaws removed and it cost 600 dollars.
If you are in an urban area, vet costs are usually more than in the suburban/country areas because the costs are that much more to run a clinic (taxes, mortgage etc).

And I always get pre op bloods done. After seeing a young JRT have serious complications because he had an undiagnosed liver shunt, there is never a question for me getting preops, it's cheaper than several days of hospital care trying to save the dog's life.

·
Registered
210 Posts
OMG!!!! Our vets around here charge 450/male 800/female. Its crazy!! So there is a green paper from the HS, thank God, for 80-150. But thats the price we pay for living in the richest county in the country. Its criminal....because there is the other not rich...like us!

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's fairly cheap for a vet, but stuff here in Canada is usually more expensive than in the States from my observations.

When Fidget is about a year old, she will be going to the SPCA Spay and Neuter Clinic to get fixed. They are non-profit, so all you pay for is the flat expense of the spay. I don't know if you have those clinics around where you are, but I would highly recommend shopping around to find out. I think the charge is just under a hundred dollars at the ones here...

BTW, Vets here charge about $300 - $650 to fix a dog...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow! I paid 110 for a neuter(70) and microchip(40) last Friday, there was no blood work and I got to pick him up at 330 the same day and it included pain meds. I just find it insane how much this routine surgery has ballooned with clinics wanting to do blood work and over night stays on every pet. How did all the the dogs of yesteryear make it this far? I can understand it if you have a breed that is prone to complications or has something wrong with it. But if you have a strong and healthy dog or pup, do some research and save yourself some cash because all you are doing is helping your Vet save up for their vacation faster. JMHO

Kai

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dgrass,
You have to realize that there is a lot more to it than just "spay." The spay is just a procedure that any and all vets are qualified to do - they go in and take out the dog's ovaries and uterus. Where things change is what else comes along with this surgery. Pre-op blood work? IV catheter? Fluids? Pain meds? Those things cost extra.

Personally, I would never considering having my dog under general anesthesia without having pre-op blood work and an IV catheter. Sure, the majority of dogs have done fine without, but, plenty have also died b/c those weren't included. I don't want to be sitting, crying over my beloved friend b/c I didn't wanna pay a few extra dollars to prevent a preventable incident. These are my personal feelings - I'm sure others may have a different opinion.

For a procedure that involves opening up the abdominal cavity (like in a spay) I also feel that there is enough trauma that pain meds are a must have.

edit: to the above, there are plenty of conditions that will never be detected during a physical exam on a seemingly strong and healthy dog or pup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts