Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Looking for any advice! I have 2 boys (brothers) that are just hitting 6 months old. They are Bassett Hound x Springer Spaniels and they are gorgeous healthy fun little boys. The problem is that whilst they are completely house trained (pee wise) during the day, night time is a different matter. They were not crate trained and they are in a well ventilated utility room at night in a lovely soft bed. I make sure I let them out to 'toilet' at about midnight then the light goes off and they sleep. I then get up at about 6am to let them out again and there is ALWAYS a mess on the floor. I don't like to point fingers as I can't be certain but I'm sure I know which of the boys are doing it. I have tried getting up at 4am, tried the nose in the mess once (which I hate!) tried monitoring their water intake, everything! At this stage I am exhausted of cleaning mess every day for the last 3 months and I can't afford any more cleaning equipment!

·
Registered
26 Posts
That has to be a pain cleaning that everyday. I don't know if it will fix the problem but I would get a crate for the dogs. It's never too late to train them. I did it with mine and he knows not to potty in there or he will have to sit in it all night. Mine also loves his crate. I can't even get him to sleep with me because he wants to be in his little den. Just use it as a positive thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You've tried getting up at 4 am? What do you mean by that? You've tried getting up and taking them out to potty? Or? When you got up at 4 am was there a mess? If so, that means you need to take them out BEFORE 4 am.

Puppies are individuals. What they "should" be able to do and what they "can" do isn't always the same. I have two small breed dogs. One, he could sleep through the night with no accidents at about 10-11 weeks. Another of our dogs, she needed bathroom breaks in the middle of the night until about 16-18 weeks. And, still, every once in awhile, she will need to get up and go. So, we take her.

Yours are still puppies. They get full physical control of bladder and bowels at about 6 months of age. But, that can change depending on the puppy. If there is ALWAYS a mess, the puppy just can't hold it, and you are too far away to hear him ask to go out. So, I would set your alarm, and take him out sometime around 3 am.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know every dog is different, but it seems unusual to me that at 6 months of age they're still having accidents nightly, after months of training. After 3 months of this it has got to be old. Time to try something different.

So what are you doing during the day? Are you rewarding them well, every single time they do their business outside? How often do you take them outside? And what time do you cut off the water supply in the evening?

When you clean up the mess, what are you using? Are you sure you're eliminating the scent entirely?

Don't put their nose in the mess.

I think crate training is the best way to go. They should sleep in crates, at least until they are reliably able to hold it overnight. And you might want to determine for sure which of them is having the accidents, or if it's both of them. Separate them at bedtime and find out who it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts