Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is overly-friendly to people (not to dogs as to my previous thread). She wants to make friends with every person she meets. If the person wants to be friendly with her I just let her be. After a few minutes she goes back to me and away from the person/people. I have to admit though, it disturbs our walks but she does get tired faster when she meets new people.

My interpretation of her going back to me and away from the friendly people is that she's had enough. Also, I think it's fine to make friends with people due to aforementioned mental exercise. Kindly advise, correct, comment, etc. on what I am currently doing.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Well, its a lot easier to have an overly-friendly dog than one with stranger danger tendencies. It's really up to you how you want your dog to behave around people. If you want her to ask for attention from strangers, fine, or you can teach her to politely ignore people on walks unless you tell her otherwise. I would teach her to heel, and then do that when walking past people, or lure her past with a treat. If the person stops and asks to pet your dog, you can give her a release cue to go get pets. Or, you can not let her be pet. Totally up to you, it's your dog.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't know your breed, but you've described the average Lab or Golden retrievers. Off-leash, these breeds can be very social, loving to meet new people and dogs. My current dog was scared of the world, but now wants to visit everyone. I encourage him to visit friends and receptive people, and stop him if people are not openly receptive - we live in a very dog-friendly neighborhood in a very dog friend city. My previous dog was even more outgoing and would try to encourage me to follow his new and old friends, rushing back to me only when he saw that I was walking the other way ;-)

If your dog sees an old friend walking a 'new' dog, will she accept the dog? As long as you are sensitive to what the people want, to her potential responses to bikes, squirrels, cats, rabbits, etc., and to issues with people who are scared of dogs who are walking with dog-friendly people, then I don't see significant issues ...

·
Registered
104 Posts
lol i have a beagle mix that loves people and he greets them with a hardy beagle bay and if you didn't know him you would think he is being aggressive but its his way of say hello nice to meet you i want to kiss you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts