Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got a 12 week old English Bulldog girl. The breeders we got her from told us not to give her all the time access to water, because she would drink until she got sick. If we put her in our lap and we're holding a glass, she'll lick it. She seems fine otherwise, she's pretty active, she eats(although she kind of grazes, rather than eating it all at once), and she poops and pees regularly(though her stool is a little soft. Possibly from the move?). We've already got an appointment scheduled for Friday so she can get her 2nd round of shots and a checkup, but I'm wondering if it's normal for English Bulldogs to overdrink?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Something just doesn't sound right about a breeder telling you that. What does the breeder mean by drinking until she gets sick? Has this already happened to this pup? Why? Has the puppy already had vet check?(by the breeder.) I would ask the vet to do some lab work. Do you have a health guarantee? My sister's eng. bulldog does not and never has been an "overdrinker." Maybe others have experience with this, but it just does not seem right to me.

By the way, that is a beautiful little girl!

Amy

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have never heard of that one before (limited water access) I have heard of limiting it during housetraining...but not on a regular basis ?? definitly ask to vet about that..

BTW beautiful puppy

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have never heard of that one before (limited water access) I have heard of limiting it during housetraining...but not on a regular basis ?? definitly ask to vet about that..

BTW beautiful puppy
That's funny because my vet actually told me not to have water out all the time for my pup, which I though was weird. I ignored that, except I do pick it up at night so we can have a good night sleep.

BTW he's adorable.

·
Registered
329 Posts
well if you are housetraining then you can limit the water (to help with accidents) but to take up water all the time and limit it ?? What about in the spring/summer when it's hot are you supposed to limit then too ?What about dehydration ?

I have a couple of those drinkwell fountains that clean and cool the water and found my animals do better with the fountain then with just water bowls ..but then we have short nosed bracotropic breed dogs

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Labrador is an "overdrinker" but she does it mainly to get my attention, i.e. when I'm patting the other dogs she'll go to the water bowl and drink a liter of water. Does she do it in your presence or when you're not there? I suggest you monitor it.

If she just does it when you're around, the best thing to do is take away the water bowl right away when you come into the room, so water drinking won't be part of your interaction. Or take it away when she's had enough.

Anyways, drinking too much at one sitting can be harmful especially for breeds prone to bloat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts