Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking for a friend -
Her almost 3yo bitch was spayed almost a year ago and aside from some healing issues the op/recovery went well. However over the past week or two she seems to be having a phantom season.

She's hyperactive and bad tempered, aggressive with other dogs, excessively hungry and today her vulva is swelled and slightly red.

This all seems to match ovarian remnant syndrome. What my friend wants to know is if she needs to get it checked and possibly fixed by a vet? She'd said she'd prefer not to have her undergo surgery or be on medication but if it's serious then she obviously will for good of the dog.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Both my bitches were spayed laparoscopically. So I'd think your friend might check and see if she can find a vet who (if it's something that needs checking) could check that way, which is a less invasive procedure. She should make sure to know the cost too, as it may be too much more expensive - that kind of spay is considerably more than the standard procedure. It the temperament problems you describe are new since the spay, it seems there should be testing even without the strange heat-like physical signs.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I'd be going to a vet, at least to confirm what's going on. I wouldn't assume it's an ovarian remnant issue vs some kind of infection, for example. Once your friend has a confirmed diagnosis, they can make a more informed decision about how to proceed.

·
Super Moderator
11,715 Posts
Please don't imagine that this - or any - Internet forum is a reasonable substitute for professional veterinary services.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.