Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks I have a one year old apricot pug that doesn't want to go do her thing during the winter months. She'll go pee but has a very difficult time trying to go poop in the snow.

Yesterday was the worst experience. It was extremely windy, blowing snow all over the place, and I know she doesn't like it but I do not want to have to resort to letting her peeing and pooping indoors. We did that the first few months when we first got her because my family thought it wouldn't be a good idea to take a young pup into harsh conditions. We had those pee pads and she did a pretty good job on that, but once spring arrived, that was over and done with.

I know if my dog doesn't poop like she should, she could get very sick. I thought it would be a piece of cake for her to go outside in the cold, but its a lot harder than I could ever imagine.

We didn't have very much snow last night, maybe about an inch. We tried sweeping an area in our front yard where she goes out but even that didn't work. We do put a sweater on her when she's outside in the cold. If all things fail, if she wants to go inside when she hasn't peed or pooped, I'll have to carry her back to the front lawn so she can try to pee or poop.

It's a lot of work, but we all love her to death. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I also want to mention that I do not want to have to resort to indoor training every winter then I'd have to start all over again during the spring to teach her to go do her business outside instead of inside.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Do you have your own yard?.....If you do then this is what you might want to try, build a little shelter area. You can use a puppy playpen and a tarp to keep some of the snow or rain off the dog. My pug is also not a huge fan of bad weather but she has gotten much better over time....our dogs are able to go under our deck...since it is screened in the underneath where we store our bikes is nice and dry even when we get snow. I think this helps the small dogs

Something like this.....minus the chickens LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have your own yard?.....If you do then this is what you might want to try, build a little shelter area. You can use a puppy playpen and a tarp to keep some of the snow or rain off the dog. My pug is also not a huge fan of bad weather but she has gotten much better over time....our dogs are able to go under our deck...since it is screened in the underneath where we store our bikes is nice and dry even when we get snow. I think this helps the small dogs

Something like this.....minus the chickens LOL

I do have my own yard. I'm not sure if its feasible. She might actually want to stay in there for a long time, lol.

I know this is all new for my pug. She wants to spend more time eating the snow than doing her business. Maybe I should leash her when she goes outside?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I would defenitly start using a leash.....If your pup starts to play and not do her business......I would take her back inside for 10 min (keeping her leash on so you can watch her ) then I would try taking her back out.....you need to make sure you are using lots of praise and extra special treats for when she does go...also are you using a command?...like "go pee" or "go potty"?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would defenitly start using a leash.....If your pup starts to play and not do her business......I would take her back inside for 10 min (keeping her leash on so you can watch her ) then I would try taking her back out.....you need to make sure you are using lots of praise and extra special treats for when she does go...also are you using a command?...like "go pee" or "go potty"?
Yes, I use "go pee and poop" and for the most part, especially when its not snowing, she understands the command.

I'll try the leash and see if that works. Now would you recommend leashing her during winter or go without it next year since she should be used to the snow? She did go poop earlier this afternoon, I praised her than I gave her a treat. If she either pees or poops, I'll give her a treat.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
When she's gotta go, she'll go. I don't think she'll hold it to the point of it being dangerous. Just stick it out and keep bringing her out there.

I second the idea of covering up a section of your yard. Even if it means just putting a small tarp down and then removing it once the rain/snow is over, so that way she has some dry ground to go on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I second the idea of covering up a section of your yard. Even if it means just putting a small tarp down and then removing it once the rain/snow is over, so that way she has some dry ground to go on.
We've had our first snowfall of the year the other day (around an inch) so I shoveled a path for her so she can pee and poop. Of course, the first thing she does when she goes outside is to eat snow. I know we're going to have some big snowstorms eventually and I'll use the snowblower to create a bigger area for her.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Covering a section of the yard is a good thing. I'm working on training One that she gets to come back inside the second she poops outside. She still spends a fair amount of time whining at the back door, but sometimes you have to wait them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts