I know I've thought about doing that but for me - I don't think I could compromise on the breed I've chosen - but I understand compromising if finding a good breeder is too difficult. Better to buy a breed you aren't as happy about from a good, supportive breeder than buy a breed you love from a mill.It really sounds like with as many reservations as you have, you ought to keep looking, but I know how frustrating it is. I actually gave up on getting a puppy from the first breed that seemed a fit for me. I now have a puppy from my second choice breed and couldn't be happier.
I think today I decided to do just that and luckily enough I stumbled upon a breeder that was recommended to me by another breeder! At first the lady seemed hesitant but I chatted with her for a bit and she was a little surprised I asked about genetic testing and such so she ended up referring me to a friend of hers that has one she might be willing to let go and she's much closer by! I feel more comfortable that she was referred to me for one (Other breeders within the club think she's good which is a plus) and she has also been very responsive to me. Very open about the genetic testing and willing to talk. I don't know, this out of state breeder seemed like she just wanted me to sign the contract and not ask many questions - maybe her breeding program was decent but it's frustrating dealing with a breeder that just wants a check and doesn't offer much support beyond that. Maybe some buyers are okay with that but being that this is my first dog, I'd like some info from the breeder and would hope the breeder would be happy to hear from me as well! Both the ladies I chatted with today seemed impressed by this attitude so I think I'll be much happier buying from one of them.