Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we adopted Primo back in December, we actually fell in love with two dogs - Primo and Wildcat Bob. Of all the dogs in the kennel, Bob actually "picked" my DH....it was dog/human love at first site with those two. There was no question he would come home to us. Well, Bob wasn't done racing yet, so he moved from Fishdog Kennel over to Toomanyhounds Kennel so he could keep running. I've been watching his races as he bounced around D and E...visited him once in January and have basically just been waiting for his trainer to retire him.

So...last weekend we went to Birmingham to bring him home!

While we were there and chatting with everyone, I asked the kennel helpers about another racer I've known for a year or so that I knew had been moved to inactive. A girl who I've visited with several times when I'd come to the track...She has the most insane and adorable overbite and her upper lip doesn't really quite cover her front teeth. Here's the first picture I ever saw of her:
Rights to Riches

They asked if I wanted to see her, so I said sure! I love visiting with houndies! Now, I've had kennel crushes on a lot of dogs over the years and happily watched them move from track to adoption group to a home...but not this time. Not her. I knew she was supposed to be mine. They made a call to check with the kennel owner to make sure it was OK, and we decided to bring her home!

Loaded up and headed home:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Checking out the Starbucks parking lot (and we had an impromptu meet-n-gree with some folks passing by!)...Here's Wildcat Bob, now called Bodhi Dogma (pronounced "Bo-dee", as in Bodhisattva).

Rights to Riches, now called Tater (any Ron "Tater Salad" White fans out there? :lol )

...and for those of you keeping track, this brings us back up to 14 wonderful houndies!!! Quite enough for quite a while, but I do love having a house full of hounds!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Gorgeous dogs. I love them both. How awesome that both you and DH pretty much got the ones you wanted.

With fourteen dogs you really need to post more pics. They are too beautiful to keep hidden from DF. :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Beautiful, both of them, but Bodhi really grabs my eye- what a gorgeous hunk of boy!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Oh Lovemygreys! How exciting!!! They are both just perfect and beautiful! How old are they? Oh and look at that... it makes her look like she's grinning!

Birmingham is STUNNING! I love them! Need need need more pics of them! Especially that Birmingham!
Nessa

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! They are a complete joy so far...Both Bodhi and Tater are 3 and 4 years old respectively, so they had pretty good racing careers!

This is probably a stupid question, but why were they muzzled?
Not a stupid question at all! Greyhounds have *very* thin skin and the basket muzzles keep the dogs protected in case there's a tiff between dogs. One tooth snag can rip open the side of another dog - even unintentionally. At the track they are turned out with their basket muzzles because they are in large groups of 10+ depending on the size of the turn out pen. The muzzle is kinda like a bike helmet for humans. And it's pretty standard protocol to muzzle greyhounds you aren't familiar with...once we were comfortable they'd be getting along we took the muzzles off.

The dogs can eat and drink through their muzzles...I've even seen them pick up toys and carry them around. The don't mind them at all, and the muzzle usually gets them excited. Ours are muzzled when we aren't home because I'd rather muzzle them and let them have free reign of the house than crate them.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I have always wondered about the muzzles, thank you for answering!

Beautiful dogs, I love grey's! I never realized how large they were until I met a few in person, they are very stunning dogs!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
beautiful dogs....and, boy, you can really see that overbite in that side shot of her.....now, is that 14 including Fast Fluffy? or does she make 15? ....and i thought i was obsessed/nutz w/ the BC's ....but i could definitely have 14 of them, too, if i had the place and finances were better:D

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Oh my goodness Tater has such a special smile! I love it.
Bodhi is a gorgeous boy.

I'd love to have a greyhound. Problem is, I don't think I'd be able to just pick one. :p

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Greyhounds are so cool. I too, did not realize how big they were until a friend had 2. A groomer I used to go to was also a greyhound rescue and I got to see lots of them. They are usually so sweet and great leaners!

I couldn't imagine having 14 dogs...of ANY size. More pics please! :D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! We are really enjoying the new pups and they are fitting in beautifully...but I knew they would. I've known Tater for a while and Bodhi is so laid back.

Oh my goodness Tater has such a special smile! I love it.
Bodhi is a gorgeous boy.

I'd love to have a greyhound. Problem is, I don't think I'd be able to just pick one. :p
How do you think we ended up with 14! LOLOL

beautiful dogs....and, boy, you can really see that overbite in that side shot of her.....now, is that 14 including Fast Fluffy? or does she make 15? ....and i thought i was obsessed/nutz w/ the BC's ....but i could definitely have 14 of them, too, if i had the place and finances were better:D
I love when someone understands a breed obsession! LOLOL When a breed "clicks" with you, it is amazing!

We have the 14 pets at home and Fast Fluffy makes 15, if she retires to our sofa. 15 is our self-imposed limit in this small house and only having one acre. Fluffy is actually a half ownership with the racing kennel, but we do have a full ownership puppy on the farm right now...and it's a male pup out of a sire that I absolutely adore and have been a huge fan of for years. So, who knows what will happen. A lot depends on what happens with our pack at home and when the track dogs retire. Fluffy might be a good enough racer that she'll be a good mamma dog one day....her lines are great and I'm pretty sure the breeder will want to keep this female line going.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Grey hounds ore one of my secret crushes... Don't tell the bullies I have that.;)

I know what you mean when you say finding the right breed for you. I too am obsessed with bulldogs of any type.

I say... Bring on the pictures!!!!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Wow, they are 2 beautiful dogs. They are so lucky to be picked for your home. Lucky lucky dogs!

um.. I agree... Photos more of your pack :p I couldn't even picture having 14 dogs....

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Gorgeous dogs. I can easily see having 15 of them.

How is it that they look so darn fast even when they're standing still in the back of a car?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow! What beautiful dogs! I imagine your house is never boring with 14 of them running around! :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Very beautiful dogs indeed. My husband and I love greyhounds. Thanks for doing so much for the breed!
I am applying to my local greyhound rescue to become a volunteer, I hope it works out!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
They are soooo cute! I thought about you today, while I was playing tennis...a guy with a greyhound came by the courts. There was a field by the courts...and he let the dog run around off-leash...she was ZOOMING all around. So fast!

Tater is a dolll!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts