Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Our dog Maxi is 1 year and seven month old toy puddle. She's super playful and energetic until yesterday. We noticed that her tail is down and that she is sick yesterday. She's not eating, throwing up and very uneasy. Her poops have blood in it and when leaking blood from her butt. We thought it was her period but it isnt. We took her to the vet and tests didnt show signs of Parvovirus or tapeworms. The vet wants to test her for dengue and she doesnt have any weird skin rashes or red marks on her body so I think that would just be a waste. For the most part my theory is that she ate something she wasnt supposed to that caused a bacterial infection hence the bleeding. The vet gave her Metoclopramide and electrolytes for her first visit. Im worried and its worse when I know nothing about dog health. Please help!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Gesture Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
Your best bet is to continue working closely with your vet. Ensure the vet has tested for parasites and run a blood panel. If the vet wants to test for dengue, let her, even if its just to rule it out as a possibility. Have you discussed the possibility of an intestinal blockage with your vet?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Also, testing for pancreatitis would be a good idea. And doing x-rays to check for a blockage would be a good idea (especially for a puppy, since they put everything in their mouth). My GSD recently had a bout of pancreatitis, that turned out to be caused by a foreign object in her stomach.

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
I also want to add that if you feel the vet was dismissive with your concerns or out of their depth with this issue, it's totally okay to seek a second opinion, especially if you don't see improvement very soon. That being said, sometimes issues are complicated and vets need to run more tests than they first realize to figure things out, or they want to test for specific things that they know have been a recent problem in your local area, as may be the case with dengue. I wish you lots of luck, and hope you get answers and a recovered pup soon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your best bet is to continue working closely with your vet. Ensure the vet has tested for parasites and run a blood panel. If the vet wants to test for dengue, let her, even if its just to rule it out as a possibility. Have you discussed the possibility of an intestinal blockage with your vet?
Hello Lillith,
Thank you for replying to this post and giving information and advices for Maxi.
She isnt showing major discomfort so her habits and overall body language is the same. She sleeps how she usually does but we notice today that she wakes up when blood leaks from her butt. But for now we are monitoring her. We tried feeling around the stomach area to see if shes in pain or would be in pain when press alittle. She isnt crying or biting when we press down on her stomach. Im obviously not expert on this so we will take her to the vet to another vet to get a second opinion for extra comfort and info. The first vet we went to, my sister said they inserted a thermometer in her butt and now she gets angry and tries to bite if we try to put diapers on her. Poor Maxi :(

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sure hope that she is better soon. She is lucky to have someone concerned about her. I think the second opinion is a good idea, but do keep in mind that sometimes even the best vet doesn't know what something is except by ruling out things. Most will start with the simplest thing and move on from there to test other things in order to find the problem by elimination if it is not obvious, or something that can be very easily diagnosed. Best of luck, and let us know how she is!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts