Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 11 month old Norwich Terrier has developed a taste for her right foot. We noticed she had bitten off some of the fur from her foot and her paw was swelling. We took her into the vet, who determined she had an infection under her nail, treated it and wrapped it. Everything was going well until we noticed that she was again licking at her foot and that fur was shortened again. There was some slight swelling, although not as much as the previous instance, so we decided to take her into the vet again. They determined that there was no infection, but that the paw was just inflamed. They gave us a steroid spray to treat her with and a nice plastic cone to prevent her from getting at her foot.

Three weeks later, we finally take the cone off, and the first thing she does is starts getting at that right foot again. We've tried Bitter Apple spray with little luck. She does not have any issues anywhere else but this one area. Has anybody experienced something similar with their dogs? The vet doesn't really seem to have any preventative solutions for us, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Could be OCD.

I would also suspect allergies. What are you feeding your dog? What sorts of cleaning products do you use around the house?

It's also possible that she might have something IN the paw, such as cheet grass, a splinter, or a sliver of glass.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I have to agree with Pameredpups.

It could be many things. She could have been chewing on her foot for so long it has become a habit and you'll just have to work on redirecting her chewing from her foot onto something else that she can chew on like a toy.

Allergies could be an issue too. I've so far have had 2 dogs that have been allergic to their food. The Vets have NO CLUE what the itching is coming from and when I went to multiple vets for the first dog to figure out the itching issue and neither of them would consider food issues. I did my own research on the issue and changed his food and the issues went away. So just keep that in mind as your looking at the problem.

Good luck figure it out. Only bad thing about dogs, they can't tell you what is wrong with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. We have her on Castor and Pollux Organix food, which doesn't contain any corn products; she has been on the same food since she was two months old. We switched her dog biscuits a while back to one of the organic brands, which is when the problem started occurring. We recently switched to a biscuit made by the same company that makes her food.

I honestly can't think of anything else that changed around the same time this issue came up. I'm curious, though, if she may have developed the allergy to her food. Would a food allergy cause itchiness in all areas of her body, rather than just that one spot on her foot? How did you determine which item in her food she was allergic to?

We keep plenty of chew toys in her crate with her, but I do wonder whether she is chewing on her foot to ease boredom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts