Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently got a catahoula leopard puppy who is 3 months old. Every time the ferret is awake the puppy chases her and bites on her. Sometimes she pulls the ferret by her, tale other times she bites her neck and the ferret hisses. We don't know what to do to make the puppy stop bitting her. I am worried one day she will bite to hard, and injure the ferret.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Most dogs cannot be trusted with ferrets. Especially a hunting breed such as a Catahoula. I have ferrets and I will not let them out of their cages when the dogs are inside.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I put my dog in a down stay and taught him leave it.

He has a huge prey drive(terrier), but for some reason, loves my young ferrets(and other adult ferrets) I thought he would try to eat them, but he just loves on them and lets them crawl all over him, now my rats, I'm pretty sure he wants to eat them, same with my reptiles.

But, he has to follow strict rules when around them(harder for a puppy) He must be laying at all times, and if he tries to bat them with his feet to get them to play he has to go downstairs immediately. He is not allowed to chase/walk after, or go towards them without my okay.

He really loves to play with them, but he could squish them, so it's constant supervision.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Pepper's dog is a good example of what good training CAN do. BUT, your dog is a puppy with no impulse control. You are putting your ferrets at risk by allowing access to the ferrets. Keep the animals separate while you train the dog the basics of obedience, including a PROOFED leave it and a stay.
Safety first.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Do a search on the site for how people handle dogs who chase their cats. You handle this the same way.

NEVER allow the puppy to chase the ferret and keep the puppy on a leash. Teach him Leave it. When he starts to go for the Ferret, step between the puppy and the ferret, and lean into the puppy's space and do a little Cha Cha into his space making him take a step back. I would say something like 'MY Ferret!" when you do this... not so much for the puppy but for you because that is what you are telling the puppy.

If you allow the puppy and the Ferret to free range together, the puppy wil eventually hurt or kill the ferret. The Safety of your Ferret is incumbant on you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts