Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have female pitbull who is about a year old now. My husband has been working out of town for the past 3 weeks and probably won't be home for at least 2 more. Usually he is the one that takes her outside for potty breaks when he's in town- but since he's not here Ive been doing it. She will NOT go for me.

For example- I've taken her outside 6 times today because she sits by the door whining like she has to go to the bathroom, yet she will never go. I feel bad when she whines like that because I can't tell if she actually has to go potty or she's just whining to whine. I would hate for me to confuse whining for attention and whining for a potty break so I take her out every time she does that by the door (which in retrospect i realize probably reinforced the whining).

We live in an apartment complex. I've tried taking her for walks, taking her to the dog park, etc. She just won't go. And I know she has to because I took her outside about 10 minutes ago and she just peed on the floor. She's in her crate for punishment. I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant and I'm getting frustrated and running out of ideas. How do I fix this?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Don't use the crate for punishment. You want the crate to be a good thing.

Take her out on a schedule. Give her about 10 minutes to go. If she doesn't, put her back in her crate for a few minutes and try again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't use the crate for punishment. You want the crate to be a good thing.

Take her out on a schedule. Give her about 10 minutes to go. If she doesn't, put her back in her crate for a few minutes and try again.

I do as much of a schedule as possible, but that doesn't always work with everything going on right now. Especially since I'm supposed to be on bed rest. Just curious- why isn't the crate good for punishment? The only time she's ever in there is when she does something bad or when we're away.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I do as much of a schedule as possible, but that doesn't always work with everything going on right now. Especially since I'm supposed to be on bed rest. Just curious- why isn't the crate good for punishment? The only time she's ever in there is when she does something bad or when we're away.
The reason being the crate is supposed to be seen as a type of den, somewhere safe where they won't be hurt (like how you view your home it's a safe place) that's what it's like for a dog. If you're using the crate as a punishment it's 1. no longer a safe place 2. Encourages the dog to whine while in the crate 3. Encourages separation anxiety

·
Registered
321 Posts
You want her to like the crate, therefore don't use it as punishment. Punishment is counter-productive when it comes to house-training anyway.

Try taking her out on a flexi leash for potty time. She may just need more space than a standard 5-6 foot leash provides. And keep things casual. If you stare at her like you're waiting for her to do something, you could be making her more uncomfortable. Stay out for as long as it takes until she goes. Have a really good treat in your pocket to reward with along with warm sincere praise when she finally does it. If you need to get off your feet go someplace where there is a bench, or take a lightweight lawn chair out with you so you can relax. In fact, take a magazine and pretend to read it, to really take the pressure off of her. Just pay attention with your peripheral vision so you know when she pees/poops.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Another thing you can try is to take some very small treats with you and start a game of 'find it', where you toss the treats around and let her hunt them down with her nose. I have one that gets performance anxiety if I take him outside and wait around for him to pee. The sniffing around during the game always seems to inspire my dog to relax and find a good spot to pee as soon as all the treats are found and eaten.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take treats out and play games with them, the dog thinks it is out to play and might not go. What is suggested a lot, as HallowHeaven said, is take her out for ten minutes or so. If she doesn't go, put her in her crate for a few minutes, and try again.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take treats out and play games with them, the dog thinks it is out to play and might not go. What is suggested a lot, as HallowHeaven said, is take her out for ten minutes or so. If she doesn't go, put her in her crate for a few minutes, and try again.
Yes you want to do what HH said, but you can take treats out so if she goes she gets one

·
Registered
321 Posts
The treats I'm talking about aren't meant to be a reward. The Find It game distracts the dog from feeling uncomfortable and pressured, and the associated sniffing around is typically a precursor for most dogs to relieve themselves. The idea is just to get the dog to relax in the owner's presence, enough so to pee/poop. It's a very vulnerable position for an animal if you look at it from their perspective. I'd start with 10 or so little treats and taper off from there as the dog gets used to going outside on the leash. Plus the treats will help create a positive association with the owner and being out on the leash with her.

If I want my dog to hurry up and pee so I can leave the house, I toss 3 pieces of kibble into the yard off of the back deck and go inside. 5 minutes later he's back and done with his business. If I'm going to be gone a while I always watch him from the window to make sure he really goes. It never fails.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah I would recommend treats. I have found that they go a long way. My pup didn't seem to grasp the concept of peeing outside, even though I would get really excited when he did. People on here suggested I give him treats after he goes, and once it became apparent to my dog that going bathroom outside was a GOOD thing, he started wanting to go outside. It was awesome. Maybe it will work for you too. Maybe even work with her while she's inside so she likes you more and feels more comfortable around you??

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
The point of the crate is to give your dog somewhere they can go to feel safe, to help house train them and keep them out of trouble when they can't be supervised.
Crates help with house training, they're good for travel, for if you need to confine your dog for medical reasons or because of having people over or something, for boarding and for vet visits.
If you associate the crate with punishment and bad feelings, you will cause her not to like it and then when she needs to be in there, life will be much harder for everyne.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The treats I'm talking about aren't meant to be a reward. The Find It game distracts the dog from feeling uncomfortable and pressured, and the associated sniffing around is typically a precursor for most dogs to relieve themselves. The idea is just to get the dog to relax in the owner's presence, enough so to pee/poop. It's a very vulnerable position for an animal if you look at it from their perspective. I'd start with 10 or so little treats and taper off from there as the dog gets used to going outside on the leash. Plus the treats will help create a positive association with the owner and being out on the leash with her.

If I want my dog to hurry up and pee so I can leave the house, I toss 3 pieces of kibble into the yard off of the back deck and go inside. 5 minutes later he's back and done with his business. If I'm going to be gone a while I always watch him from the window to make sure he really goes. It never fails.
I don't agree with this...because the dog is going to be distracted too much to use the bathroom which is the whole problem the OP is having. You don't want potty time to be a game...you want it to be a quick positive thing. If you want to teach your dog to scent hunt then yes this is awesome but for this potty training not the right thing. Also a lot of dogs don't find it uncomfortable for people to look at them while they do their business...I'm sure they don't care or else it would be very difficult for potty training...the only reason they wouldn't like to go in front of you is if you hit them while they went inside the house and generalized this as "he doesn't want me to pee in front of him at all" and that's only through fear not uncomfortableness

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a somewhat similar situation with my previous dog so hopefully this might help, I got him from an owner who no longer wanted him so he wasn't comfortable with going around me. First few days I would walk him and he would not use the bathroom at all to pee or poo, he would wait until I was out of the room to pee/poo, and just letting him out was out of the question because at the time I was living in an apartment complex.

He was just gunshy around me I guessed, so what I ended up doing was buying an EXTRA long leash...forgot exact length but it must have been more than 20 feet...I know for sure it was the longest they had in the store, I would take him to a large park near my complex, sit on a bench and just let him explore as far as he could go while holding the leash. I wouldn't even be looking in his general direction...of course I watched out for other people coming by or other dogs because I didn't know how he would react yet. I did this for a few days maybe about a week and after a while he just got used to peeing and pooing around me so the long leash was no longer necessary.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with making potty time fun/a game for a dog who is too afraid to go in front of his owner. I'm not suggesting the owner did anything intentionally to frighten the dog, but something happened. Might not have seemed like any big deal to the owner, but the dog may have a different impression. The game is just a way to get the dog to loosen up and relax. This problem she is having isn't only about potty training, it's also about fact that the dog doesn't trust her. The dog's always going to need interaction and fun from the owner, so what's wrong with combining a few minutes of fun with potty time?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with making potty time fun/a game for a dog who is too afraid to go in front of his owner. I'm not suggesting the owner did anything intentionally to frighten the dog, but something happened. Might not have seemed like any big deal to the owner, but the dog may have a different impression. The game is just a way to get the dog to loosen up and relax. This problem she is having isn't only about potty training, it's also about fact that the dog doesn't trust her. The dog's always going to need interaction and fun from the owner, so what's wrong with combining a few minutes of fun with potty time?
I know that but the OP SOUNDS (just guessing) like she wants this to go as fast as possible so to make a game out of potty time doesn't help her

1 - 15 of 15 Posts